New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Security Webcam connect to Bubba

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
Clive

Security Webcam connect to Bubba

Post by Clive »

Just wondering if anyone had thought about connecting a Webcam to the Bubba USB port ? As the server is running 24/7 it's a good way to have steaming security monitoring, perhaps with some automatic motion detection.
msx

Post by msx »

I have tried very briefly.. I attached my usb webcam (a cheap logitech) but was not recognized (although it shows on the usb devices). My guess is that some part of the Video4linux infrastructure is missing (maybe some kernel module? maybe the admins can answer).
I considered installing motion but i didn't tried as the camera was not recognized..
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

There was an article in Swedish paper Elektronik I Norden this week by forum member zmannen, where he connected one of those toy USB gun turrets to the bubba and controlled it with a web interface.
He also combined it with a USB webcam and had Motion running with it.
There weren't many details on how he got the webcam bit to work (I think, I left the paper in the office).

Perhaps zmannen would be kind enough to give us a short howto?

Cheers,

Niklas
novis

Post by novis »

Has anyone tried this yet?

Since the latest Ubuntu rolled out, my Creative VF0400 (prodid 0x4061) began working out of the box, so the drivers are there.. I heard someone made a whole lot of them last summer.

Well, I'd be interested in a tutorial anyway..
rewien

Post by rewien »

novis wrote:Has anyone tried this yet?

Since the latest Ubuntu rolled out, my Creative VF0400 (prodid 0x4061) began working out of the box, so the drivers are there.. I heard someone made a whole lot of them last summer.

Well, I'd be interested in a tutorial anyway..

I'm interested as wel. it should be possible.
maybe one of de developers from excito can help us?
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

I did some research back then, and it turned out I had to add something to the kernel.I tired installin the cross compiler on a PC and build the module, but I must have mucked something up, it didn't work. Then I gave up :-)