New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Testing the mailserver, spamassasin worth a try?

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
habrys

Testing the mailserver, spamassasin worth a try?

Post by habrys »

I just tested a bit the Bubba's mailserver. I happen to have a POP3 mail account with over 17.000 Mails (since March 2005, 220 MB heavy, mostly spam). I threw Bubba on it yesterday :) All mails were transferred successfully. It took about 15 hours though, with a few torrents running "in the background", for a good measure :D

So now I wonder if it would be a good idea to install spamassasin and configure it somehow clever to get rid of all this spam sitting on my bubba. I don't want just to delete the old no-spam mail as well, just the spam.

Do you think installing of spamassasin is a good idea or is it too heavy for bubba? Are the better, more lightweight alternatives? Ideally it should use internal and external filter (Bayesian, etc, with learning on + some external blacklist).
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

This has been discussed here see

http://excito.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=236

It certainly seems like SpamAssassin would be too heavy for the Bubba, but I haven't had a chance to look at the alternatives yet. I would certainly be interested in seeing what is possible.

/H
dsp76

Re: Testing the mailserver, spamassasin worth a try?

Post by dsp76 »

habrys wrote:I just tested a bit the Bubba's mailserver. I happen to have a POP3 mail account with over 17.000 Mails (since March 2005, 220 MB heavy, mostly spam). I threw Bubba on it yesterday :) All mails were transferred successfully. It took about 15 hours though, with a few torrents running "in the background", for a good measure :D
Hi Habrys,
I have my current email under Evolution (so its saved in a different format compared to bubba). How did you move your existing mail to bubba? Where you able to conserve the original dates?

I tried it with Bubba IMAP within Evolution and just copying the inbox mails into the subscribed Bubba IMAP folder. However, it changed every mail date / time to now....

Does anyone have a good idea how to migrate existing mail to bubba without loosing its timestamp?

P.S. by the way, evolution show the right timestamps in the IMAP folders. But the Iloha webinterface shows wrong dates...

dsp
habrys

Re: Testing the mailserver, spamassasin worth a try?

Post by habrys »

Hi Habrys,
I have my current email under Evolution (so its saved in a different format compared to bubba). How did you move your existing mail to bubba? Where you able to conserve the original dates?
The mails were stored on an external POP3 account, so I didn't move anything locally. Before I used this account with the option "leave messages on the server".

I have the same problem: the dates in Evolution are correct, but the webinterface shows the last pop3 download dates, instead of the original dates. No idea why. It's a bit anoying, but I can live with that, since I use Evolution mostly. A bug in the webinterface perhaps?
dsp76

Post by dsp76 »

...yes, and another bug (ignoring junkmail flag) I also described here:
http://excito.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=346

dsp