New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Want to remove fetchmail size limit...

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
dsp76

Want to remove fetchmail size limit...

Post by dsp76 »

... so I read through the Fetchmail man page but didn't understand fully. One option is called limit, but I don't know the syntax to put it into /etc/fetchmailrc ... (I don't want to limit the size at all).

Would:
with limit 0
under the poll line be correct?

No its not....

I also tried to add a line

Code: Select all

set limit 0
... but this didn't work either due to wrong syntax.

dsp
tor

Post by tor »

Hi dsp76,

Could you try to add this as

user test with password "test" is test@xxxxxxxxxxx here options limit 0
And see if that works?

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
dsp76

Post by dsp76 »

Hi Tor,
If I also wanted to use SSL, is this the correct line?

user 'user@email.deu' there with password 'password' is 'bubba-user' here ssl and options limit 0
dsp
tor

Post by tor »

Hi again,

Im not an expert here but i think it should read:

user 'user@email.deu' there with password 'password' is 'bubba-user' here options ssl limit 0
/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
dsp76

Post by dsp76 »

Hi tor,
okay I will try - looks like both syntax don't cause any syntax problems... (hopefully it will work now).

dsp
dsp76

Post by dsp76 »

Hi,
unfortunately the suggested syntax won't work ... fetchmail doesn't retrieve anything. Looks like it doesn't even run (but can't find any hints in the logs). Last message was that it restarted after I changed the /etc/fetchmailrc file...

But where is the size limited, if not in the fetchmailrc file itself? Can't I remove it there instead of switching it off in fetchmail?

greetings
dsp

[update] with /etc/init.d/fetchmail restart ... the Daemon works again, but still bounces the oversized mail.... Help is appreciated...

[2nd update] actually, the error in the mail.log is thrown by postfix... does it mean, also the smtpd has a max limit on bubba? where can I remove this one?

This is what postfix tells me about limits:
bubba:/etc# postconf|grep size
berkeley_db_create_buffer_size = 16777216
berkeley_db_read_buffer_size = 131072
body_checks_size_limit = 51200
bounce_size_limit = 50000
header_size_limit = 102400
mailbox_size_limit = 0
message_size_limit = 10240000
Looks like the maximum message size is about 10MB. It seems not to be set in /etc/postfix/main.cf ...

dsp
johannes

Post by johannes »

Sorry for jumping in here a bit late, but this made me curious.

Can you please let me know how the error log looks like? Also, how large emails get rejected, if you know? And; are they bounced back to the sender (as opposed as when fetchmail just refuses to fetch them)?

Thanks
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
dsp76

Post by dsp76 »

Hi,
this is the related error:

May 20 12:21:15 bubba fetchmail[1256]: SMTP error: 552 Message size exceeds fixed limit
May 20 12:21:15 bubba fetchmail[1256]: mail from FETCHMAIL-DAEMON@bubba bounced to sendersemail@atthispla.ce
Basically the mail dissapears into nothing. I think the bounce email doesn't go out due to this bug regarding the missing option for authentication of SMTP.

I interprete the errormessage, that the size limit comes from the SMTP Postfix service inside bubba wanting to deliver to my bubba mailbox, instead of the fetchmail service... So the message gets fetched correctly, but can't be delivered to the local mailbox? So it gets bounced (which doesn't work correctly either).

dsp76
johannes

Post by johannes »

Ok, try adding the line:

message_size_limit = 20480000
Or whatever size you would like to /etc/postfix/main.cf. That should do it. You could of course use postconf to add that setting as well.

[Edit] Don't forget to reload the postfix settings as well.

postfix reload
The default maximum size seems to be about 10 MByte.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)