New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

proftpd doesn't (re)start

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
dsp76

proftpd doesn't (re)start

Post by dsp76 »

Hi,
I realized that proFTPd isn't running and as restarting ftp didn't workout I restarted the server itself.

In the /var/log/syslog I found the following entries:

Code: Select all

May  4 21:21:28 bubba proftpd[1201]: bubba - Failed binding to 0.0.0.0, port 21: Address already in use
May  4 21:21:28 bubba proftpd[1201]: bubba - Check the ServerType directive to ensure you are configured correctly.
So whats the problem here?

It startet at the time, when I did an upgrade which I started from the webinterface that didn't finish - I needed to do a "dpkg --configure -a" to finalize it. It also upgraded proftpd (current release on my box is: 1.2.10-15). Are there any problems with this release?

Update:
I removed proftpd, which of also removed other packages including bubba package. Then I reinstalled the bubba package which also brought proftpd and proftpd-common along with it. I selected the package maintainers version of the config file for proftpd and now its up & running again.

Remaining 2 questions:
1) Is 1.2.10-15 the bubba standard version for proftpd?
2) Should proftpd be set as servertype "inetd" or "standalone"?

dsp
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Sorry for hijacking this thread...

Related to this, does anyone know how to find out what process is owning a particular listening socket in linux?

I work in tech support and I see these issues often. On windows I use the excellent tcpview from sysinternals to verify the issue and find out what process is hogging the port.

How can I do the same on a unix-like system?

Thanks in advance

/Niklas
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

cheeseboy

use

Code: Select all

sudo netstat -anp
it will show you states of connections and which PID/process is responsible for it.

/Bjorn
dsp76

Post by dsp76 »

okay - and now back to the questions:
Remaining 2 questions:
1) Is 1.2.10-15 the bubba standard version for proftpd?
2) Should proftpd be set as servertype "inetd" or "standalone"?
;-)
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

Hi dsp76,

1) yes
2) I'd run it as standalone, but both will work...
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi bjorn,
sudo netstat -anp
As simple as adding -p :-)

Thanks!