New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

ZoneMinder

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
sameoldme

ZoneMinder

Post by sameoldme »

Anyone know whether ZoneMinder will run on Bubba Server, or where to find a Lenny unstable source to add to my Sources.list? I need to keep an eye on my Mother-in-Law, who is over ninety and frightened of falling and not being found (its all right, she and her carer say this is ok - honest! 8) )
DanielM

Re: ZoneMinder

Post by DanielM »

sameoldme wrote:Anyone know whether ZoneMinder will run on Bubba Server, or where to find a Lenny unstable source to add to my Sources.list? I need to keep an eye on my Mother-in-Law, who is over ninety and frightened of falling and not being found (its all right, she and her carer say this is ok - honest! 8) )
I installed zoneminder on my B1 a couple of years ago. I don't remember any exact steps, but as I remember it the installation was quite easy. I never got the drivers for my webcam to work though and a zoneminder without camera seemed quite pointless so I gave up.

/Daniel
sameoldme

Post by sameoldme »

cheers for this DanielM, at least I know where to look for the problems now! Shame you don't remember the steps to install. Being stubborn I might give installing from source a go - of course I expect to encounter the same driver issues but, as they say, "forewarned is forearmed"
DanielM wrote:
I installed zoneminder on my B1 a couple of years ago. I don't remember any exact steps, but as I remember it the installation was quite easy. I never got the drivers for my webcam to work though and a zoneminder without camera seemed quite pointless so I gave up.

/Daniel
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

sameoldme wrote:cheers for this DanielM, at least I know where to look for the problems now! Shame you don't remember the steps to install. Being stubborn I might give installing from source a go - of course I expect to encounter the same driver issues but, as they say, "forewarned is forearmed"
It could have been something like downloading an archive from zoneminder.com, unpacking it and maybe some fiddling with config files. If that's of any help :D

Anyway, it's not at all sure you'll have any driver problems at all. Completely depends on the chip used in the webcam you're going to use. If you're about to buy one, I guess it's a good idea to check this in beforehand. Googling for the name of the webcame in combination with the word Linux often gives good hints.

/Daniel
stompertje

Post by stompertje »

If you can live with something simpler than Zoneminder, you can also install "motion".

Works great for me, I can watch a live camera feed from my iPhone and video capture and storage can be based on motion detection or timed snapshots. Installing is as simple as "apt-get install motion" and then editing the config file to start the motion daemon.