New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

How to setup email

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
henrol

How to setup email

Post by henrol »

Hi,
I have a couple questions about setting up and using Bubbas E-mail functionallity, I've read the manual and searched the forum but I'm uncertain of how to set this up. Here's the scenario:

I have an E-mail account at my ISP and I use Outlook Express on my main PC to retreive, read and store the e-mails.

I'd like Bubba to store my current E-mail archive (~75MB Outlook Express .dbx-files) as well as retrieve and store any future E-mails. I'd like to keep using Outlook Express as my client but want/need the possibillity to acces my mail from PC's other than my "main" PC (the one currently storing the E-mails) as well as accessing them from "the outside".

So, first question: Is it possible?

And if possible, the inevitable one: How do I set it up?

Thanks!

/Henrik Olsson.
tor

Post by tor »

Hi henrol,

This is a tough question that probably has many possible answers.

Regarding fetching of emails. That should not be a problem. If you dont have a user other than admin start of by adding that. Then log in to web-admin with this user and add the mail account you want to fetch mail from.

After this any new mail should be fetched to your Bubba.

Then you should configure your mail progam to read mail from Bubba via Imap. It will give you the opportunity to read mail stored at Bubba without using the webmail application.

When this is done i think the easiest way to get your current mail over to Bubba is to use outlook and copy the mail from your local machine over to the folders at Bubba.

I hope this at least might get you started.

And always remember to make backups of data as vital as your private emails.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
henrol

Getting there...

Post by henrol »

Thanks Tor!

I had to change from Outlook Express to Outlook because Express didn't seem to be able to apply it's email-rules to messages stored on an IMAP server....

Anyway, I managed to set Bubba up as an IMAP server and Outlook connects to it just fine. I can send and recieve from Outlook and I can use Bubbas web-mail to read messages but I can't make it send thru my ISP's SMTP server. I have, logged in as Admin, added my ISP's SMTP server in Bubbas Send and receive email config but when trying to send I get a Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender.

Anything I can try?

Thanks again.

/Henrik.
tor

Post by tor »

Hi henrol,

Does your isp require authenticated SMTP? How do you configure SMTP in outlook?

You can take a look at this post,http://excito.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=354 , regarding authenticated SMTP.

/Tor
henrol

Post by henrol »

Tor,
Does your isp require authenticated SMTP? How do you configure SMTP in outlook?
No it doesn't (as far as I know). In Outlook I simply add the names of the servers for incoming and outgoing email. Bubba as incoming (IMAP) and smtp.ipbo.se as outgoing (SMTP) in this case. I don't have the Logga in med säker lösenordsverifiering SPA ticked and I don't have the Den utgående servern (SMTP) kräver autentisering ticked either (Sorry for the Swedish language).

I've seen that thread before but I have no idea on how to install apps on a Linux machine and I'd rather not fiddle with it if it isn't necessary. And since Outlook manages to send without the authentication (it seems) I'd like to think that Bubba should to.

What should I have in the Handle mail for domain-box? Since I don't have a domain I've left it with localdomain perhaps that's the problem?

Thanks!

/H.O
tor

Post by tor »

Ok, then your isp smtp server most likely rejects your email for some reason.

Could you send the bounce mail to me in a private message, or forward it to support@excito.com, i will see if i can figure out whats going on.

/Tor
henrol

Post by henrol »

Tor,
Sent you a PM. Have you had a chance to look at it or do you need aditional information?

Thanks!
/Henrik Olsson.
henrol

Post by henrol »

Hi,
Thanks to some off-list assistance from Tor the problem is now solved. Turns out I had the account set up correctly but missed to add an identity in Bubbas Web-mail application.

Thank you Tor and the rest of the crew!
/Henrik Olsson.