New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Best way to stream video from bubba to a rendering client

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
Gurriz

Best way to stream video from bubba to a rendering client

Post by Gurriz »

When playing video with vlc mediaplayer on windows, only using the files mounted from samba in the windows file system, there are lot of freezes.
I tried the ftp, feeding vlc with a ftp-link. It works much better, but are there
1) better methods?
2) Using the upnp protocol? Is that potentially better for media streaming than ftp?
3) What underlying protocol is upnp using?
4) How do I add upnp capabilty to vlc?
tor

Post by tor »

Hi,

Its a bit strange that you are experiencing freezes. How is your network setup, wireless or wired?

If you run VLC you can try to enable caching when open the file to see if that makes any difference. (When choosing file->open check the "caching" checkbox in Advanced options.

VLC should(?) be able to use UPNP but i must admit that i never got it working.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
Gurriz

Post by Gurriz »

I am using 100 mbit wired network connection. Changing the caching doesen't solve the problem. When playing from FTP with VLC there is a freeze approx. every fifth minute, can anyone explain that?
tor

Post by tor »

Hi again Gurriz,

I unfortunately must say that we are unable to reproduce this during normal operation. Even when doing this over Samba, it works fine here.

Do you have a lot of downloads running on Bubba when you experience this? It could be that something is eating up the resources for samba. You can try to disable any streaming software that you dont use, daap and upnp then. These services will periodacly update their media libraries which in turn uses quite a lot of resources. Further more the download manager will also use a lot of resources from time to time so that also can be a problem in some cases when resources are in short supply.

Other than than, what bandwidth is it on the media content you try to play?

/Tor
Gurriz

Now it works fine

Post by Gurriz »

by increasing, as you advised, the vlc cache to some 10000 ms. But I am still curious why the network bandwidth go down to zero approx every 3-4 minute...
Tyriel

Post by Tyriel »

Well, I have the same problem. The rendering client can handle files when played from local harddrive, but everytime I try to stream from Bubba it freezes every 10 minutes. It works playing mp3 music from the bubba.
The rendering client is using WinXP+Media Portal and I have 100Mbit cable connection.
tor

Post by tor »

Hi Gurriz and Tyriel,

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing playback problems.

Are you both using Windows networking when this occurs? And what type of media are we talking about? Is it high bandwidth movies or audio?

/Tor
Gurriz

My problems are solved

Post by Gurriz »

My problems are solved, and now I can play high bandwidth (like dvd format) movies
- by using ftp instead of samba and
- set a cache in vlc (on windows XP) to 7000 ms.