New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

mediatomb, how does it work?

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
Cheeseboy

mediatomb, how does it work?

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi Guys and Gals,

Sorry for being a n00b, but could anyone please tell me what mediatomb will consider media and index for streaming?

I have been considering to buy some rendering hardware, but before I did so I wanted to test the feasibility, so I installed djmount on my Ubuntu Feisty pc and checked what UPnP content was available on my network.
I can see all .avi files that mediatomb has indexed on my bubba, but none of the DVD image files on the bubba (.img .iso)... Do I just have to configure mediatomb to recognize these files somehow, or do I have to set up some elaborate solution where the files are converted on the fly?

TIA for any pointers!

/Cheese
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi again,

From reading a little it looks like mediatomb uses the MIME identification reported by file -i <filename> to determine the file type.

I added this to /etc/mediatomb.config.xml under the <mimetype-upnpclass> section:

Code: Select all

<map from="application/x-iso9660" to="object.item.videoItem"/>
Is it even feasible to stream from an ISO image? I thought it might be as VLC opens them over a SMB share without problems...

Thanks for any input.

Cheers!

/Cheeseboy
Jin

Post by Jin »

Hi,

the type of media that you can stream depends on your renderer, MediaTomb will offer any kind of data - there is no limitation. It will be up to the renderer to decide if it can play it or not; of course sometimes there are problems that renderers expect specific mimetypes, but that can be configured.

The mapping you made - mimetype to upnp:class - does not mean much in terms of possibility of streaming this item. Some renderers ignore the upnp:class thing completely, others use it to display appropriate icons in the UI and so on. But in the end it comes down to the mimetype setting and the ability of the renderer to play a particular format.

Can't tell you much about ISO images, I know that mplayer was able to ISOs so I guess it should be able to stream them as well, but I do not know any device (as in hardware player) that would be able to do that.

Greetings,
Jin
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi Jin,

Thanks for your kind reply.

I understand your points about different renderer's abilities.
I haven't got a rendering device (yet)...

I tried using djmount, which will mount any upnp content available on the local network as a file system. Once mounted, you can see the m3u files on the mount (rather than the content itself). It doesn't try to render any of it.

I did this to see what was working (or not) before I spend any money on rendering hardware.

The ISO images does not show up (nor do they in the mediatomb web interface), so this is why I thought the problem was server-side rather than client-side.

So the mapping was only a vain attempt to fool the mediatomb indexer, not the client :-)

I realize this is not really the forum for the workings of mediatomb, I just thought I'd ask if someone knew about his...

Thanks again for your input!

Cheers

Niklas
Jin

Post by Jin »

Hi Niklas,

if you select an ISO from Filesystem view in the MediaTomb web UI and simply add it - then it should be imported and you should see it in the Database view as well, probably it will go to PC-Directory, because it will not be recognized as a video file (this can be changed).

If you have questions specific to MediaTomb, you can always ask in our forums on SourceForge or in our IRC support channel.

I guess getting a good renderer is not so easy :) Various devices are on the market, some of the cheap but crappy, some expensive and crappy and hopefully some good ones are around too :) Take your time, and if you have the chance to try it in a store - do it! :)

Greetings,
Jin
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Actually, I was wrong!
They DO show up in the mediatomb web interface, just not where I expected them. I can find them under "PC Directory"...

Hmm, I guess it's down to tinkering with djtool...

Thanks again Jin.
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Got it now.
User error. Sorry for wasting your time...