New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Print server being able to serve the windoze drivers?

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
Cheeseboy

Print server being able to serve the windoze drivers?

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi again,

This is not terribly important for me, but it would be nice to be able to plug in a windows box into my network and have it install the needed printer driver from the samba printer server...

As of now, it will find the printer, but no driver, so it has to be installed from the internet or CD.

Is it possible? Any hints?

Cheers

/Cheeseboy
green-vette

Post by green-vette »

I have the same problem. Windoz is XP and printer is H-P D7360. H-P has no help. What is your printer?
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Thanks Bjorn,

I love the idea. However I could not make it work.
I tried making everything in print$ available to all (copying the settings of "storage" in smb.conf), also tried changed:
[printers]
use client driver = no

I also changed my windows domain to workgroup EXCITO.
When I browse for my bubba on windows I can see the printer, but it is not in a printer folder as described in the doc you kindly linked...
The machines are actually on different networks. XP is behind my firewall, but my bubba is Tarzan/Commando style directly ona tha internet, but since my ISP lets the NetBIOS/smb packages through I can connect to it from within my private network even with the external DNS name.
I see my printer (a Brother HL-2030, green-vette) if I type in the \\servername in windows explorer, but the printer is not in a printers folder as you would normally expect, but listed as a computer(?). Looking at it's properties it says it is a NT 4.9 server :-)

I manually copied all the files from my windoze System32\spool\drivers\w32x86 directory and made sure they are available on my bubba for everyone in the print$ share. I even created a copy called W32X86 (as it says in the doc) to avoid case sensitivity issues, but to no avail.

I simply cannot get to the windows dialog in the screen-shot on the page you kindly provided.

Windows file explorer \\servername\print$ is available, I can see all the DLLs I copied, and I can write to it from windows...

Any ideas?
I suppose this is a samba config issue with the [printers] section....
But no clues really in /var/log/samba/log.all

Any ideas mutchly appreciated as always.

Ta

/N
TimSmithCA

Printers and Windows

Post by TimSmithCA »

Hi all
I managed to connect to my printer connected to a bubba server without any problems. It's an old hp930 so the drivers were included in the Windows list.Y You may need to download the drivers from the manufacturer first.
I didn't have any luck with the Add Printer wizard, but then it's always frustrated me with network printers. I entered the ip address of the bubba into Windows explorer and then double clicked on the printer icon. Windows launched the new printer process and everything was fine from there. I can't comment on how it would work with a printer with a separate driver.
The only problem I've encountered is that I can't print multiple copies in one go.
Good luck
Tim
Tim Smith
IT and Open Source Journalist
Occasional Web Designer
http://www.computeractive.co.uk
http://www.churchit.co.uk
http://del.icio.us/timsmith714
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi TimSmithCA and others,

I still haven't bothered to read up on samba and windows enough to get windows to correctly download the drivers from a print$ share on bubba as mentioned in the link posted by bjorn above, but printing from windows works flawlessly when the correct driver is installed on windows.

I have a new-ish Brother printer and the CD supplied has many different drivers on it (for other models as well), it was never clear which one to use by using the "Have disk" scenario in windows. However, running the installation software provided by Brother I finally even managed to get windows to print to it flawlessly via CUPS rather than samba.

It took a while, and I had some odd effects, I would get empty pages, pages printed twice in the wrong orientation due to wrong paper format, some features would not work. At one time it printed solid black lines instead of lines of text... Most of these problems were caused (I think) by a "generic" driver provided by Brother on the CD.

As we are idiots and not supposed to do things by ourself, the different DLLs were not named or documented in any way that made sense to me. Only the "flashy GUI that only runs on windows" could pick the right driver, and it assumed that the printer was attached to the local PC USB port, and was able to identify itself...

Kudos to Brother though for actually including links to how to get unsupported Linux drivers in the "flashy GUI that..."

I also have a non-standard and probably not very recommendable network configuration to complicate matters, trying to print from windows on a local IP to a bubba without an internal IP and that might have made things worse... But hey, now it works!

To summarize. My advice for a USB printer:
- Attach it to a windows PC first, and get the correct drivers installed in windows from the CD or whatever. Make it work.
Delete the printer from windows.

- Then attach the printer to the bubba and get it configured in the web interface, Add the printer in windows by browsing to the samba share and it should work fine ("choose driver from list"-list should now have the printer listed)

- Then if you are less lazy than me, find out what DLLs, CABs etc are needed and copy them to a print$ share on bubba for other windows clients to autoinstall from (as in bjorn's link above), and then figure out all the Linux/Samba/Windows/permissions configurations to make it happen.
And then let me know what you did.

Cheers

/Cheeseboy