New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Network connection on reboot

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
PeterTuson

Network connection on reboot

Post by PeterTuson »

The power supply to my house was temporarily cut off causing my bubba and network gateway to be rebooted.

It appears that bubba came up first but didn't find a network to connect to.

The network gateway then came up but didn't connect to bubba.

As a result the system was not working properly.

Can bubba be set up to get a DHCP address from the network gateway when the latter boots up?
peter
tor

Post by tor »

Hi PeterTuson,

When Bubba boots with a dhcp configuration it will start of by trying to get network information of a dhcp server in the network. If that does not succeed in about 10 seconds it will fallback to a static configuration. Bubba can then be found at the IP adress192.168.0.242.

But this might not be ideal in most cases. There is then another trick. One can disconnect the network cable from bubba in a few seconds and then reinsert it again. Bubba will then retry to get a dynamic adress.

If you want to change this behaviour you have to edit the configuration of the dhcp client.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
PeterTuson

Updating DHCP Client

Post by PeterTuson »

Hello tor,

Thanks for advice.

I use bubba as my home server and is this only thing left on all the time ideally. I have edited the dhclient.conf file, changing the Timeout to 120. I then switched both bubba and DHCP server off, restarted bubba then the server and bubba managed to pick up the correct DHCP address.

Can I also set it up so that the DHCP server can be controlled by bubba? So that the broadband connection is only enabled when it is needed with bubba switchin it on and off.
peter