New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Possible to recover from kernel panic?!

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
jonasbits

Possible to recover from kernel panic?!

Post by jonasbits »

tor wrote:Hi,

A late comment on reinstalling the kernel.

osa, you are on the right track. With a zImage for bubba. Installing it is "as simple as"

Code: Select all

dd if=/path/to/zImage of=/dev/mtd1
A big WARNINIG here. If the kernel image is not correct. Your bubba will not boot again since a working kernel is essential for operation. And getting the unit operational is complicatede and involves some HW tweaks. (Maybe time for a howto on this as well, if any of the HW guys have time for it)

/Tor
( forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=303 )

In this post from a long time ago there is some talk about it being possible to recover from a kernel panic with some HW thinkering. Could this information be reveiled now.

In the spirit of open-source and also because it is fun, i think the final decision when to retire a B1 should be left to the hacker :-) It is unthinkable to risk bricking this sweet server without having some hope of resurection!

Best Regards
/Jonas

Working on some guides to make a B1 usefull - at the wiki: User_talk:Jonas_Oestman/Howto/RawLenny
johannes

Re: Possible to recover from kernel panic?!

Post by johannes »

@jonasbits, you have no idea how glad it makes me that you still give love to the good old bubba. What you need is direct access to the chip even when stuff is not booting, this is done through a hardware serial port. You can read here on how to do this:

http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=206

These days there are better options available for the UART converter, there are numerous USB to TTL-level UART, just google "usb to uart cable" or similar.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)