New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

BUBBA as a Fax-server?

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
Egix

BUBBA as a Fax-server?

Post by Egix »

Hello to everybody,

I am new to this forum and would like to gain from some of the experience collected here.

I would like to install a BUBBA as a file server, but need also a fax-server. Does someone have an idea how this could be done?

Best regards
Egix
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi Egix,

In order to do this you would have to get either a USB fax modem, or a USB/serial converter and a normal serial fax modem. Then you would have to find some Debian fax server software like HylaFAX http://www.aboutdebian.com/fax.htm and install it on Bubba and configure it with your modem. I have not done this myself, and I have not seen anyone mentioning it before on this forum...

Cheers

CheeseBoy
Egix

Post by Egix »

Hi CheeseBoy,
thank you very much for your answer. It seems to me however a little bit more complicated. I will post it to the forum, should I ever try to get it work.

Cheers
Egix
efiggy

Post by efiggy »

Hi Egix,

Were you able to make the fax server to work with USB faxmodem? I am really interested on this one.

Efiggy
Egix

BUBBA as a Fax-server?

Post by Egix »

Hi Efiggy,

sorry, we did not continue with this idea, as our IT expert expects too many problems.

Best regards
Egix
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Hi guys

I'm afraid my Linux knowledge is none existent, but I quite like the idea of a having a fax server.

Egix - In what way do your IT Experts expect too many problems ?? Is it in regards to either having a USB modem / USB to Serial adapter?
Do you reckon it would be any easier with the following hack - Installing a serial interface to Bubba > http://www.excito.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=206 ??
Egix

Post by Egix »

Hi,

as far as I understood is required
- a modem or a Hylafax-compatible
ISDN-Card
- a software package consisting of a fax program and drivers

Regards
Egix
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Thanks for your reply,

When you say that a software package consisting of a fax program and drivers would be required, are you talking about client side?
At work we use faxstar on our as400, to send a fax we simply send an email with attached document to 012345678910@fax. Is HylaFAX not similar to this?

[edit] Just seen AvantFAX which is a web based interface for managing incomming and outgoing faxes using HylaFAX. This could possibly do away with client side software.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Ok, had a go at this last night,

HylaFAX installed fine. Couldn't get it to find the first modem I tried, but plugged in another one and all was good.
Possible modem hardware issue with the first modem, didn't test them before hand, shoulda really.

Never managed to successfully send/receive a fax. But i'm kinda hopeful, need to confirm I have my settings right and that the modem that I’m using now actually works. But nothing yet has given me the impression that it won’t work.