New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Upgrading Bubba, preserving media files

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
jondoveston

Upgrading Bubba, preserving media files

Post by jondoveston »

Hello

When my bubba arrives next week, I intend to install debian sarge using the bubba.img and then start using it as a media file server. If at some time debian etch becomes available and I want to upgrade (presumably using a new bubba.img?) so I can use it as a development server for php5/mysql5/apache/subversion, will my media files be safe during the upgrade?

Thank you from a new user patiently waiting for etch

Jon
estorino

Post by estorino »

I have the exact same question, wanted to post a new topic, but remembered to search the forum first... :)

When (I assume it will be a "when" and not an "if") a new image for Bubba based on Etch instead of Sarge will be released, will there be a way to upgrade without losing all your data or will the entire drive be formatted?

Ideally it would involve doing an update through the webinterface (basically 'apt-get dist-upgrade') where your machine would just download all the new Debian packages for Etch and replace the old ones, leaving all your data intact. (Just like any other Debian machine)
tor

Post by tor »

Hi,

It sure is a "when" :)

The install will be in the form of a bubba.img as used when reinstalling. This due to that we do quite some reorganization in the upgrade. (Taking the time to correct things that havn't worked well in the first version of the software. Things such as separating data and OS partitioning the HD better etc.)

We will also try to provide an upgrade that preserves user content. This is however somewhat problematic since we repartition the harddrive so no guarantees on this but we are quite optimistic in being able to solve this.

It should also be possible to do the upgrade with apt. But its likely to be problematic and wont be officially supported by Excito.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer