New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Accessing server from outside

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
ian

Accessing server from outside

Post by ian »

I am hoping someone can help me with this. I have followed the instructions to set up my router to allow certain external access to my bubba (web, ftp etc.) but it does not work.

Strangely, I am also unable to ping my public IP address; the address I have has been "discovered" using various different websites, so I am confident that I have the right address.

Do I have to set up NAT/port redirection in my ADSL modem, or should it be enough to do this in my router? I have tried both the "Open Ports" option and the "Port Forwarding" options in my router; is one supposed to be better than the other?

Thanks in advance, Ian.
dsp76

Post by dsp76 »

Ian,
how did you set up your network:
- Router with integrated modem or seperate?
- Internet login though the router or via SW from PC?
- What Router do you use?

regards dsp76
ian

Post by ian »

I have a Speedtouch ADSL modem connected to a Draytek router.

I have tried setting up my modem to forward specific ports (ie. 21 and 80) to the router, and have enabled port forwarding on the router as well.

If I try probing my IP address using one of the many websites that do this, it seems that these two ports are open, insofar as the test program gets a response. If I disable port forwading and do the same test, the ports are reported as being completely closed, so there is definitely something happening as a result of the changes that I have made. However, I am still unable to access my bubba via the Internet.

I have read of people having problems doing this sort of thing with Speedtouch modems, so it could be that this is the source of the problem...
msx

Post by msx »

It could depend on how your router/modem behave when you access your public ip *from inside your network*.

For example, i can't do that. I access my bubba daily from work using my public ip, but from home i can only access it with its local ip (192.168.x.x)

I think it have something to do with loopback on the router. I don't know if it is something that you can activate. Maybe it depends on your router and firmware version.
Here's a quickly googled similar problem:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 51308.html

It says:
DG834's do not support loopback over the wan interface, so you can't connect to a internal VNC by using your internet ip, you will have to connect from another internet connection to test your VNC
ian

Post by ian »

Just to let you know that you were right. I had tried connecting from home and pinging from home and from work, but nothing appeared to work. I just tried connecting using my public IP address and the web-admin link, and it worked.

Thanks for the help, Ian.
ian

Post by ian »

BTW, I have just experimented, and I can even access my server using Opera Mini on my SE P910, which is really neat....