New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Create a new partion for /home and /swap on bubba?

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
limpo

Create a new partion for /home and /swap on bubba?

Post by limpo »

Hi,

Could I do this and move the current /hda1/home/$user contents to a new /hda2/home and /hda3/tmp partition?
All this without breaking bubba?

Why I want this is because I want to be able to use nosuid, noexec on tmp and home, for security reasons.

/Limpo
tor

Post by tor »

Hi Limpo,

It should be doable. At least in theory. And we plan to do this in the new etch upgrade image if we can get it to work. We have not tried it yet.

Big fat note, this is very risky and is neither recomended nor supported by us ;)

If you have the free space on Bubba you should be able to use the install-image. Not the minimal image but a modified install-image to boot with.

Use the ext2resize command to shrink the filesystem on the partition.

After that use fdisk to shrink the partition. This has to be done very carefully to match the size of the new partition.

You should now end up with some empty space on the end of the disk. Use this to do what you want.

Update /etc/fstab to match the new setup.

Reboot and enjoy.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
limpo

Post by limpo »

Hi,

Im not quite sure I understood you correctly about the modified install-image? Is there a new modified one around or do you mean that I somehow could make modifications to a current one(mount it)?

If it is possible to make those modifications(/tmp,/home on own partition) on a install-image, then I would just have to make a fullbackup of the current system, and then do a reinstall with the new mod-image. And then just restore my old system from the backup?

/Limpo
tor

Post by tor »

Hi,

You will have to modify the normal install image. And it sure is possible to modify the install image to do partitioning in another way. The install script is a fairly short shellscript.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer