New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Multiple mediatomb processes running. Is that normal?

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
roel

Multiple mediatomb processes running. Is that normal?

Post by roel »

Hi guys,

I'm still playing with my new bubba, and was checking out the running processes with 'top'.
When I was doing that, I noticed two mediatomb processes running, taking up 72% and 24% of CPU. A minute later I suddenly saw five mediatomb processes, but each using very little CPU power.

So I grabbed a list of the running mediatomb processes:
roel@bubba:~$ ps ax | grep mediatomb
1100 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/bin/mediatomb -c /etc/mediatomb/config.xml -d -u nobody -g nogroup -P /var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /var/log/mediatomb
1101 ? S 0:00 /usr/bin/mediatomb -c /etc/mediatomb/config.xml -d -u nobody -g nogroup -P /var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /var/log/mediatomb
1103 ? S 166:44 /usr/bin/mediatomb -c /etc/mediatomb/config.xml -d -u nobody -g nogroup -P /var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /var/log/mediatomb
1107 ? S 0:00 /usr/bin/mediatomb -c /etc/mediatomb/config.xml -d -u nobody -g nogroup -P /var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /var/log/mediatomb
1109 ? S 0:00 /usr/bin/mediatomb -c /etc/mediatomb/config.xml -d -u nobody -g nogroup -P /var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /var/log/mediatomb
1122 ? S 0:00 /usr/bin/mediatomb -c /etc/mediatomb/config.xml -d -u nobody -g nogroup -P /var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /var/log/mediatomb
1132 ? S 56:00 /usr/bin/mediatomb -c /etc/mediatomb/config.xml -d -u nobody -g nogroup -P /var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /var/log/mediatomb
1287 ? S 0:00 /usr/bin/mediatomb -c /etc/mediatomb/config.xml -d -u nobody -g nogroup -P /var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /var/log/mediatomb
8105 ? S 0:00 /usr/bin/mediatomb -c /etc/mediatomb/config.xml -d -u nobody -g nogroup -P /var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /var/log/mediatomb
8113 pts/0 S+ 0:00 grep mediatomb
Is that normal, or do I need to 'kill' some of the processes?
tor

Post by tor »

It is completely normal to see many instances of the mediatomb application. On bubba every thread of a threaded application gets its own process id and list in in ps.

So as long as its working as its supposed there is no need to kill anything ;)

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer