New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Problems sending mail from IMAP client

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
johanheinesen

Problems sending mail from IMAP client

Post by johanheinesen »

Hi,
I'm trying to use Thunderbird portable to access my email from outside the house.
I can read mail just fine but I get a relay access denied error when I try to send an email.
If I do a sendmail on my local network with bubba as smtp everything is fine but if I change it to my ip I get the same error.
Any suggestions? To me it looks like I need to set something up on bubba.
I've just tried the same setup from Outlook and I get the same error.

Johan
Johan
---------------------------------
johannes

Post by johannes »

Hi johan,

We'll try to help you out here. In your Thunderbird setup, what is set as SMTP server? Your own (home) external IP, pointing to your bubba server? If that's the case, is it possible that your firewall (I suppose you have a hardware router/firewall) blocks inbound SMTP packets? Have you forwarded port 25 in your router to bubba?
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

Hi,

i would advice to use some sort of "SMTP-auth" or "POP/IMAP-before-smtp" if thinking about using the bubba SMTP-server for external relaying. This is potentially dangerous since an open smtp-relay will attract spammers who will abuse your bubba to send SPAM!

just a warning :)
johanheinesen

Post by johanheinesen »

johannes wrote:Hi johan,

We'll try to help you out here. In your Thunderbird setup, what is set as SMTP server? Your own (home) external IP, pointing to your bubba server? If that's the case, is it possible that your firewall (I suppose you have a hardware router/firewall) blocks inbound SMTP packets? Have you forwarded port 25 in your router to bubba?
I've supplied my external IP as SMTP. Does it have to point to bubba as well and how do I do that?
I've forwarded port 25 to bubba in my router.
Johan
---------------------------------
johannes

Post by johannes »

Do you mean that you have supplied your external IP as SMTP server in your Thunderbird client on a machine outside your home local network (where your Bubba is)?

As Björn correctly points out on the post above that's a bad idea for security reasons. It should work however, as long as your router forwards port 25 to your Bubba.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, or misunderstood you.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)