New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Auto power up

Want new functionality in Bubba? Discuss it here.
efiggy

Auto power up

Post by efiggy »

I would just like to know if it is possible to auto power up the system at specified time of the day?
pa

Post by pa »

No, unfortunatley not. The cpu can shut off the power, but once it has been shut down, there is no way to turn it back on.

/PA
DarnMoose

Auto power up: LAN activity?

Post by DarnMoose »

Would it be possible to power up the Bubba in response to LAN activity?

Sander
Pressurized

Post by Pressurized »

I guess you could buy one of those plugs that has a built-in timer that you can get to switch on at various times.

However, for each power-on there may have to be a power-off so you'll have to make sure bubba shuts itself down before the plug does it in an uncontrolled way.
johannes

Post by johannes »

Since the hard disk is the main power consumer in Bubba (> 90%), the smart way to do it would be just to spin the disk down, and have it spin up again on request.

Read more about how to do that for instance here.

As comparison: My home desktop computer uses about 16W when turned off (!), for instance waiting for a wake-on-lan event. Bubba uses about 10W when running, and would probably use less than 1W when the disk has spun down. Going below that 1W seems a bit overkill..
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)