New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

SATA instead of IDE

Want new functionality in Bubba? Discuss it here.
estorino

SATA instead of IDE

Post by estorino »

I came across this article last week: http://uk.theinquirer.net/?article=41180

Seagate will no longer be making hard drives with an IDE interface, it is likely that other manufacturers will follow at some point... It won't be a problem any time soon, but it might be wise to consider the SATA interface for a future model.

For a device like Bubba I don't see any advantages for using SATA though, if you have a normal PC, then the small cables are welcome, nor is speed an issue. It's just that SATA will be more future proof I guess...

Post by 9812713 »

Many new age NAS devices are going this Route (SATA) heck some of them offer ESATA for upgrading.

I suppose one advantage, If there were 2 gig Lan's installed, a faster processor, and the same 128 ram, you could actually "work" the bubba, as for streaming, downloading off a fast ethernet connection, and perhaps even doing other things.

I have noticed that the local computer store has been providing a small list of available IDE drives for purchase.

SATA would also allow users to run the newer drives (you know the 1TB drives) but I can't imagine what backing up that data would be like.

Well .. I made a post of what the "TS-109" and the newer "TS-209" can do.. If only this was in a bubba format (I hate closed ended products) because of the life cycle.

Anyways. I do hope that the Bubba team is in works for a product that suits my tastes.

Wil.
:: Fish ::