New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Scheduled Data Backups of Bubba

Want new functionality in Bubba? Discuss it here.
innersphere

Scheduled Data Backups of Bubba

Post by innersphere »

I am no unix/linux expert, so despite having read multiple guides on rsync etc, am still no closer to figuring out how to sort out an automated backup from my Bubba to a NAS box on my LAN. The remote box doesnt support rsync for starters, which makes it all a bit difficult.

What would be a useful feature is having the ability to set up backups from the Bubba to other locations and be able to schedule them - all from the Bubba GUI.

Anyone else think this would be useful, or am I just missing how easy this is to do?
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

If it is possible to mount the remote nas via NFS or SMB, you can use rsync, but performance will be poor (as rsync thinks it is syncing locallly and won't optimize the transfer). Also this will not give you incremental backups.

As is often said: backups is easy, restoring is difficult.
Making incremental backups using "find" to spot only differences is ok, but you'll have a hell of a time restoring such a backup.

Anything better than this sounds like a serious coding job... but let me know if you manage :)

Ubi
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Maybe rdiff-backup can solve your problem. I never used it though:

http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/
innersphere

Post by innersphere »

Thanks very much for your reply Ubi, but as mentioned in my previous post, I am no expert and most of this stuff leaves me scratching my head.

What I was looking for is some way to do this via the existing Bubba UI - which is why I posted in Feature Requests :P

Thanks again :)