New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

How good is the BT client in bubba?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
matte

How good is the BT client in bubba?

Post by matte »

My first post, woho :)

Just got my B2 today, installing it tonight after work. Has anyone tested the BT client and can tell my if it works well enough to replace uTorrent on my Vista machine?

I am mostly on BT sites that require login, will that work?

/Mattias
MagnusJonsson

Post by MagnusJonsson »

My second post, yeah I'm getting good at this... :lol:

Anyway, I have just recently got my B2 up and running, but there are a few things that I can't get to work.
For instance the issue Mattias is asking about.
Does it work with Torrents that require login?

It keeps on saying

[TorrentName] 0%
Connecting to tracker (0 seeds 0 peers)
DL: 0B/s (0B) UL: 0B/s (0B)

and nothing more happens when I try. The torrents work very well on the PC of course...

What am I doing wrong ? :cry:
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

I have had problems with this in the past too.
I mentioned it briefly here:
http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?t=1156

Basically if your private tracker does not recognize bubba's torrent client for whatever reason (NAT, cookies, whatever), you should be able to get it to work by starting a text-based web browser in a command line interface on the bubba and log in to your tracker before starting the download.
If it fails because the tracker requires a specific client identification string (like the client has to identify itself as uTorrent version x.x) this will probably not work...

Anyway:

Code: Select all

apt-get install screen
Install lynx if it isn't already there:

apt-get install lynx
Log out from the root account, and then start screen:

screen
Within screen, start lynx with the URL of your tracker as an argument:

lynx http://www.myprivatetracker.org
Fiddle around with the arrow keys etc. in lynx in order to log in to your private tracker. (It will tell you how to navigate the pages on the welcome screen).

Press CTRL-A then CTRL-D to leave screen running in the background with lynx running in it.
You can now close your terminal window to bubba without killing the lynx session to your tracker.

You can find out more about screen and its keyboard commands here:
http://www.neophob.com/serendipity/inde ... sheet.html

/Cheeseboy
matte

Post by matte »

Have tried this but keep getting a "Download failed - number of redirects hit maximum amount"

Any ide what that meens?

/Mattias
matkr265

Post by matkr265 »

Do you need to use the web interface to add torrents or would it be ok to log in to the shell or drop the torrentfiles in a "watch" folder in your home directory?

I have a setup where i start rTorrent from the shell and drop my torrentfiles in its watch directory and the file is automatically is downloaded and seeded.

My BT sites uses login to be granted to download the torrents and use a session id to authenticate me as a valid downloader when i request the torrent.
Xet

Post by Xet »

You can drop torrent files in the /home/<user>/torrents folder and the download should start automatically.

Personally I use Torrentflux, b4rt version, for torrent downloads. It has options for setting cookies which, depending on BT site, could be used for login at the BT site.
MagnusJonsson

Post by MagnusJonsson »

Thank you very much Cheeseboy for your detailed walk-through !
Everything up until downloading the torrent worked like a charm, but the torrent still won't download.

I thought I'll give Torrentflux, b4rt version a go (cause it sounds just like it has what I need), but there are probably going to be quite a few things to figure out first, since I'm a Linux newbie.

Thanks for your support however ![/b]
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hello all,

I have also used rtorrent in screen before when I grew tired of the default download agent in the first bubba (it was riddled with crashes when it first came out).

Just have a look around and try stuff, and when you find something that works, tell the rest of us.

apt-cache search torrent
Cheers,

Cheeseboy