New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Difficultyin setting up

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
drewbb

Difficultyin setting up

Post by drewbb »

Hi all

I am having difficulty setting up my bubba two. And its a two-part question.

1. I have a Netgear Wireless ADSL Firewall Router that connects to the internet. There is no WAN port on it just the telephone ADSL connection and the 4 lan ports (and wireless).

I was hoping for scenario 4 but realise that this seems impossible, is scenario 6 my only option given my setup?

These scenario's are taken from the users manual.

2. When trying scenario 6 I cannot access the bubba. The only way I can access the bubba is connect the router to the WAN port and then the PC to the bubba LAN port, and this does not seem right!

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks

Drew
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Drew

I'm in the same boat as you as I have BT Broadband and have been unable to set up as per Scenario 4 even though I have invested in the correct cable.

I had no problem in setting up Scenario 6. I presume you followed the setup instructions and first logged into Bubba as admin then under Network on the menu set the unit into Server only mode?
drewbb

Difficulty in setting up bubba

Post by drewbb »

Dear Mike,

I actually tried every combination under the sun and eventually on got it to connect if my pc plugged directly into the bubba and then the bubba into the router. Not at all useful! I cannot believe that excito did'nt think about adsl lines!

I am beginning to think I made a mistake in purchasing it. I need a way to get some kind of connector that fits the adsl telephone lead (??RJ45) to an ethernet port, so that I can connect it to the bubba.

Know of one?

Drew
Xolo

Post by Xolo »

Can you draw up your network in a diagram so we can have a visual of your description of your network?
I personally own an ADSL line and Bubba is working fine with this setup:

Phone Line --> (WAN ADSL Line In Port) ADSL Modem/Router (4 port ethernet LAN) --> 1.Bubba, 2.WAP1, 3.WAP2, etc.

1. Bubba|TWO as a server
2. WAP1, Wireless Access Point 1
3. WAP2, Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router in router mode

You will not find an ADSL 'plug' to ethernet adapter, it does not exist. Your ISP provided you with an ADSL router, you are to use this device's ethernet switch ports to connect computers and/or Bubba to.
If you were given an ADSL modem which only connects to your PC via USB, then you will not be able to use it to set up Bubba as there are no USB ADSL modem drivers installed by default, and you will not be able to install any without a working connection to the Internet into Bubba.
You will have to ask your ISP to exchange the USB modem for an Ethernet version in that case.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Mine is setup precisely as Xolo's. BT provide the BT Home Hub which is a router that connects to the PC by ethernet so it works fine as Xolo's scenario.

It seems I will need to get another type of internet connection for the Bubba to work in the router/firewall/server mode but meanwhile I am very happy with the Bubba as a server.

Don't give up, Drew, as Xolo's suggested solution with regard to getting an ethernet type ADSL modem seems to be your answer. Even if you can't get one for free, you can buy them for peanuts these days.
pa

Post by pa »

Hi,

I will try to put some more light on our thoughts about different network setups are.

To start with, Bubba does not have an adsl modem integrated. If you have an ADSL internet connection you still need to have a separate ADSL modem.
To get the most out of bubbas features, it should be a very simple modem, just providing direct access to your ISP, no firewall or router functionality since this is a part of Bubba.

So, if you do have this connect your modem to the WAN port and use Bubba in as in scenario 1 (or 2,4).

If not, use Bubba as in scenario 6. On older software it is required to first connect bubba directly to your PC and change settings of the LAN section to use DHCP. This step is not necessary on the current software (>=1.1.2)

The reason for choosing not to integrate an ADSL modem into Bubba is that it would limit the use to just ADSL lines. By using a regular ethernet connection it is possible to use Bubba with both direct ethernet access and ADSL access, the later by using an external ADSL modem.

/PA
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

.. some kind of connector that fits the adsl telephone lead (??RJ45) to an ethernet port, so that I can connect it to the bubba.

Know of one?
The adsl modem cable does that but as per pa's note you still need an adsl ethernet modem in order to connect to the internet by adsl.

I've just got the most basic adsl modem I could find and have now set up Bubba Two in firewall/router/server mode without problem.
drewbb

difficulty in setting up

Post by drewbb »

Dear All

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the late response. Scenario 6 is obviously the only solution I have at this present time so I'm going with that.

Now using http://bubba takes me to some website.
192.168.0.1 takes me to the setup of my Netgear router/adsl modem etc.

So here is a series of questions (and if you feel these need to be addressed in separate posts please feel free to say so) to me they are related.

How do I access the bubba?

Regarding my setup:

Can I still use the bubba as a mail server?
Can I still access the bubba via SSH (or PUTTY) to view and access my home files?
Why can I not see the bubba and my 500Gb external HDD attached to it in my network settings?

The wife is giving me grief. She wants to know why she cannot access the baby photos to show her mates at work! So hopefully somebody is going to save my skin!

Once again, MikeC, Pa, Xolo, thanks for the advice.

Drew
drewbb

difficulty in setting up

Post by drewbb »

Actually the IP address should read 198.168.10.1 and it still does not connect.

Drew
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Drew

Treat my answers with a bit of care as I am new to Linux and indeed networking. I just take interest in your post because I'm in precisely the same boat as you, having just got a Bubba and encountering the same difficulties (which I put down to my inexperience) but I know a lot more now than I did three weeks ago.

When you ask about accessing the Bubba, I presume you mean from within your own network.

Your first question was about accessing the Bubba and I wonder if you have set it up as per the manual when you say
Now using http://bubba takes me to some website
It looks like a website but it is the menu from the Bubba. You should then (this is from the User Manual, Quickstart)
5. Log in by clicking Administrator in the upper right side using username: admin and password: admin.

6. Follow the Setup wizard (also found in the Settings menu, more information in section Setup wizard).
I can also access my Bubba both through Windows Explorer and through PUTTY. Initially my firewall blocked access and then I had to run the Network wizard again but now I can see Bubba as another drive. Try also mapping the network drive. I'd never even heard of PUTTY a few weeks ago but had no problems installing and running it. Now I just need to learn the Linux commands but I'll enjoy that as it reminds me of the good old days of DOS.

Unfortunately I was not yet able to setup my Bubba to access it from the internet. I'm working away from home now (which is why I wanted the Bubba in the first place) so I can't do anything further to solve this one until I get back, but I did discover this link and I'm sure the penultimate paragraph provides a clue..

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/ ... l300t.html

To access your Bubba from the internet you would need to enter something like www.drewbb.bubbaserver.com or whatever personal name you choose during setup.

Keep plugging away - you'll get there in the end!

Regards
Xolo

Post by Xolo »

Okay, let's try and get a few things straightened out..

Your router:
1. What type, USB or Ethernet?
2. Does it have more than 1 ethernet LAN port? (4 for example?)
3. Failing 2, do you have a switch available to expand the number of LAN ports
4. Are you required to use dialer software on your desktop pc before you can connect to The Internet?
5. How is this device connected (details! provide a schematic if possible http://www.gliffy.com/)
6. What is it's LAN (Internal network) address? You may find this to be labeled 'Gateway address' if you bring up the properties of your desktop machine's LAN connection status/properties in Windows.
7. Do you have any other devices on your network, if yes, list their addresses and how these are connected

If you could provide some or all of the above information, especially the LAN/Gateway addresses, it will be easier to determine a working setup for you.
pa

Post by pa »

If you have an older software, you need to check my previous post and make sure Bubba in in server mode. Also make sure that power off bubba when you reconnect your network cables.

Once bubba has entered servermode, it will request an IP from your router.
When typing http://bubba in your browser, this should take you to bubbas "default web-page". Once the page has loaded, check the address in the location bar. If it still reads http://bubba, you are at the correct place.

If not the name lookup has failed (it is your router that is responsible for this, not Bubba), check your routers DHCP log in order to find out the IP-address that Bubba has been given and type that into your browser.

Once you have this setup, you will need to open up ports in your firewall/router in order to access Bubba from the outside. Check your manual for your firewall/router on how to do this. Port 80 is for http, port 22 for ssh and port 25 for incoming mail traffic.

Also check with your ISP that they are allowing incoming traffic on those ports so that they are not blocked prior to reaching Bubba.

Regards
PA
drewbb

Difficulty in setting up

Post by drewbb »

Dear All

Thanks for your patience.

Please see the diagram of the setup.

In answer to the questions.
1. Ethernet
2. 4
3. -
4. No
5. See attached
6. ip 192.168.0.5
gateway 192.168.0.1
7. Netbook connects wirelessly (linux)
External storage connect via the USB to bubba

When I type http://bubba into the windows machine I can access the bubba. I have across the top (lt. to rt.) Mail, Downloads, User Info, Filemanager, Logout, Home. I think I am missing options.

The netbook does not connect.

I cannot see the external storage and it is on.
pa

Post by pa »

Hi,

When you log in your options are correct when you log in as a regular user. In order to have the administrative options you need to login as "admin".

Regarding your external disk, this has to be mounted in the "disk" section when logged in as "admin". Your disk will then be visable in windows under storage/extern

Regarding host name lookups, it is your router that is responisible for this on your local network. Bubba tries to register its name in your router but if it (your router) is not configured or not able to handle this, DNS lookups within your local network will fail. (check in your linux notebook as well that your router is set at DNS server). In windows, if the DNS lookup fails, windows will try to use windows name lookup and that will work.

/PA
drewbb

Difficulty in setting up

Post by drewbb »

Hi Pa

You're right about the admin login and now the external HDD is viewable as a sub-directory of the bubba.

As for the DNS I looked under the various headings of the Netgear router and did see anything, but then again, I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.

I did find this though, any relevance?
Static Routes Help

Static routes give the router information that it cannot learn automatically through other means. This can happen when RIP is disabled on the LAN. (See the LAN IP Setup page.) All defined static routes appear in the table. To add or delete a route, work in the area under the Static Routes table.

To Set Up A Static Route:

1. Click the Add button.

2. Type a route name for this static route in the Route Name box under the table.

(This is for identification purpose only.)

3. Select Private if you want to limit access to the LAN only.

4. Select Active to make this route effective.

5. Type the Destination IP Address of the final destination.

6. Type the IP Subnet Mask for this destination.

If this is for a single host, type 255.255.255.255.

7. Type the Gateway IP Address, which must be a router on the same segment.

8. Type a number between 2 and 15 as the Metric value.

This represents the number of other routers on your network. Usually, setting this to 2 or 3 works the best, but if this is a direct connection, set it to 2.

9. Click Apply to have the static route entered into the table.

Thanks

Drew