New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Online Backups?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
RandomUsername

Online Backups?

Post by RandomUsername »

Hi,

I am very close to buying a Bubba 2 Server tonight, I've had my eye on one of these babies for a while.

Until now I've been using a low profile Windows XP box as a file server and I had MozyHome running on it for online backups. This PC died a couple of days ago hence the imminent purchase of a Bubba server.

The problem is, Mozy doesn't offer a Linux client (yet) so I was wondering if anyone here uses any kind of online backup service that works well with Bubba servers. I've found a few services that support Linux generally and seem like a good price (although none of them can beat Mozy's $5 p/m for unlimited storage :( ) but I'd still appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks.

[EDIT]You guys also need a UK reseller. I just payed 25% VAT which really stung. It's only 15% here at the moment.
dan13l

Re: Online Backups?

Post by dan13l »

RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Thanks for that.

I've tried Humyo before and it's a total non-starter as it's too slow (several UK based customers had the problem but the Humyo team were burying their head in the sand over it).

Never heard of Bingodisk though.

I've found a few providers that offer ftp access so that combined with the Bubba Two's built in backup facility should work quite well.
cmcevoy

Post by cmcevoy »

Worth looking at www.rsync.net
$0.72 per GB per month, secure and well established, with simple scriptable backups.
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

cmcevoy wrote:Worth looking at http://www.rsync.net
$0.72 per GB per month, secure and well established, with simple scriptable backups.
Thanks but that is ludicrously expensive. Some of the places I've seen (including Mozy) offer unlimted storage for $5 - $10 per month. At the rates you've quoted I'd easily be paying over $200 p/m.
cmcevoy

Post by cmcevoy »

RandomUsername wrote:Thanks but that is ludicrously expensive.
Fair 'nuff : compares better with MozyPro