New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

BUBBA|2 WiFi with WLAN problem

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
blacklodge

BUBBA|2 WiFi with WLAN problem

Post by blacklodge »

I hava a BUBBA|2 WiFi with WLAN problems.
I bought my BUBBA i few months ago and did not use the WLAN features in the beginning and i have been really happy with it until recently.
I have now bought a Squeezebox and have started to use laptops to connect to my BUBBA through WLAN (or at least i am trying to connect)
The problem is that i do not get a stable connection with any of the devices, the signal strength is 100% good, but it does not matter what ever settings i use on my BUBBBA, i have tried every settings under the Wireless tab for Band, Mode, Encryption etc. as i sad i have tryed every possible setup, but stil my connection is like i yo-yo, connect > disconnect > connect, and in a random pattern, sometimes i can stay connected for some minutes and other times for just 10 seconds.
And now the even worst part of the problem begins, when my laptop(s) and/or my Squeezebox have tried to connect the BUBBA cuts ALL connections even the cable connections to my workstation goes completely dead, and after 30-60 seconds my BUBBA starting to blinking and rebooting itself. This is also in a random pattern, sometimes i can connect and disconnect a few times before it reboots and sometimes it reboots at my first attempt to connect to it.

I have tried different laptops with different WLAN cards and standards (B/G/N) but it is all the same.

So now my only solution for the moment was to buy a separate 200SEK WLAN router and use in bridge mode, that is the only possible way for me to have a stable WLAN connection and without having my BUBBA to reboot every 5minuts. My BUBBA's WLAN interface is not possible to use!

I am really disappointed at this and want to know what the problem might be. Have anybody or the BUBBA crew ever experienced this problem before?
Is there any firmware updates?
I am now starting to suspect a hardware problem, but the rebooting part of the problem tells me that it maybe not is a hardware problem.

Obviously i have always updated my BUBBA through the web interface.

/ Tomas
Cheeseboy

Re: BUBBA|2 WiFi with WLAN problem

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi,

I have not experienced what you describe, nor read about it on these forums.
You should report this to the Excito crew directly (support@excito.com).

Hope things work out.

/Cheeseboy
nolla

Post by nolla »

I have experienced same kind of problems. Sometimes restarting the wifi helps, sometimes it doesn't. Would be happy to find a solution for this problem, because now I need to have another wifi-access point in lan because of unstable bubba2.
willem2

Post by willem2 »

This thread is about the same problem:

http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2390

Only a reboot helps me out, after a reboot wlan is OK for some days/weeks - then problems start again.

Is there something in the logfiles I can search for to localize the problem?
mc01

Post by mc01 »

Not directly related to the Bubba2's wireless card, but I do know that I've had a faulty wireless card in the past fitted to a laptop (like the one found inside the Bubba). Occasionally this WiFi card can be faulty or become faulty after some time. I have read elsewhere on this forum that the card can be successfully replaced so it may be worth checking the wifi card is fitted fully into the slot - especially if the Bubba has been dropped at some time. Buying a new wifi network card (if your Bubba2 is out of warranty) might be the answer?

Other wifi network interference or from electronic products can cause this but not relevant as you say the light blinks. I know the light blinks on the Bubba when a WAN connection is incorrectly setup and can take longer to "find" a network setting if incorrect. Not likely but just for information.
g__

Post by g__ »

I've been having a similar problem recently. I started by changing channels, and replacing the antenna with 9dBi models, but neither seemed to help.

Is there an alternative to restarting the entire router? Restarting the wireless sub-system and/or associated kernel modules?
willem2

Post by willem2 »

g__ wrote: Is there an alternative to restarting the entire router? Restarting the wireless sub-system and/or associated kernel modules?
+1 for this question. Anyone?
johannes

Post by johannes »

Just want to say that we (Excito) are aware that the wifi in B2 can be unstable in some conditions. THe problem seems to be quite deep down and we are working on finding a solution. Until then, if the problems get too bad and you can't live with it, let us know (support@excito.com) and we'll figure something out.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Is there an alternative to restarting the entire router? Restarting the wireless sub-system and/or associated kernel modules?
Access the web interface, go into admin mode, click Network, then the Wireless submenu. Turn it to off, and click the update button.

Then wait for a couple of minutes (you might want to tail -f /var/log/syslog if you are interested in what happens). Then turn it on again.
nolla

Post by nolla »

Has anyone really managed to improve wifi stability?