New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

B3 powerful enough for transcoding video in real time?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
jonte

B3 powerful enough for transcoding video in real time?

Post by jonte »

Hi, just curious to hear reactions from the community to this topic.

I can imagine several ways in which this would be useful. Two areas of interest to me would/could be:
* Transcoding (container-switching) MKV to VOB in realtime for playback on a PS3
* Transcoding a SDTV MPEG2 to 3g-friendly format via VLC or VPlayer.

Just trying to think of more great ways to use this great little black box.
Waddayathink? Is the B3 powerful enough for the job?

//Jonte
Cheeseboy

Re: B3 powerful enough for transcoding video in real time?

Post by Cheeseboy »

I don't know the answer to that, but it seems to be significantly more capable than the Bubba2.
On the Bubba2, seeding a torrent of interest would jack up the CPU index as reported by uptime and top to 6 unless capped, I have rarely seen it go above 1 on the B3.
Search for llink. It is something I want to implement and another user already did it without problems.
It will unpack rar files on the fly and stream the files to the media-player.

Also, users who connect to my new B3 server has commented that my new ftp server is "bloody fast" compared to the last one (Bubba2). What they mean is not the transfer rates, but the response time to user actions.

As far as I'm concerned, it gives the performance of a PC, unlike the Bubba2.

All the above are my own simple objective observations, nothing scientific to back it up...
ryz

Post by ryz »

Well I believe that transcoding movies uses floating point calculations and since the B3 processor does not have any floating point unit this would be really slow. At the same or lower speed as the B2 since the B2 processor had an floating point unit.
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

ryz is right,

I don't even know why I answered to this (as I haven't tried it myself), I guess it was the old fanboyishness expressing itself.

You will have to try it and find out.
Or hope for someone else already tried it.

Sorry
jonte

Post by jonte »

Cheeseboy wrote:ryz is right,

I don't even know why I answered to this (as I haven't tried it myself), I guess it was the old fanboyishness expressing itself.

You will have to try it and find out.
Or hope for someone else already tried it.

Sorry
No worries! Thanks ryz and Cheeseboy for input