New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Running server software update

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
markcdashdown

Running server software update

Post by markcdashdown »

I have just tried to run this and it failed. Now I am getting this message:

Failures found in package (dpkg) database, unable to continue with upgrade.
iF ddclient 3.8.0-11.3 address updating utility for dynamic DNS services

I can no longer access SSH using PuTTY and my svn server will not connect.

Help, please.
Ubi

Re: Running server software update

Post by Ubi »

are you trying to connect to the IP address or the DNS name of bubba?
markcdashdown

Post by markcdashdown »

I have tried both. Mostly I use my dns name, but using the IP address does not work either.

I can connect to the B3 web interface and run all functions there, but my svn connection fails and I am unable to access SSh using PuTTY - the connection is rejected and I get a message: "server unexpectedly close network connection".
markcdashdown

Post by markcdashdown »

OK. I have managed to access SSH using the local IP address...does this help?
markcdashdown

Post by markcdashdown »

So...I wonder...is anyone going to reply? I really need to get this resolved, Please.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

you're being extremely sparse with information, and you're angry that nobody replied with only a few hours of your post. A post even that doesn't even ask a question but merely states that you've managed to access your machine yourself. You seem to be unaware that this is a forum mainly occupied by owners of bubba, who have other things to do than bow to your every wish.

I suggest you use your newfound access to your bubba to manually run the update process (apt-get update). If you want help, you have to be specific in your question, not to mention a bit polite. Not everyone has the same issues as you and nobody can see what's on your screen. Also our psychic department has a vacancy.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

also it seems you asked the same question in two fora:
http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f ... 000#p14000
markcdashdown

Post by markcdashdown »

Forgive me. Is this not a service provided by Excito? As a customer I assumed that I was seeking their support. Is that not correct?

I asked a reasonable question at the very start of this post and then supplied the answers you asked. I then added more information to advise you that I had managed to gain limited access, but it was clear that my original query had not been dealt with.

I then waited all day, unable still to use the server as I would expect only then to get your unhelpful (and rude) answer.

However, my original issue remains and I have not had any practical advice. Please answer it and perhaps you might also reflect on whether this is how customer service request should be dealt with?

If I am wrong and you are not part of B3 support then please advise me who you are. I do not wish to get into an argument, just to resolve my issue.

BTW I am aware of the same question on the other forum you link to. if you check you will see that i have contributed to that also. BTW - I note that no practical advice was given there either.

Thanks in anticipation
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

markcdashdown wrote:Forgive me. Is this not a service provided by Excito? As a customer I assumed that I was seeking their support. Is that not correct?
No. This is a user forum, as you have read in that other thread
markcdashdown wrote: I asked a reasonable question at the very start of this post and then supplied the answers you asked. I then added more information to advise you that I had managed to gain limited access, but it was clear that my original query had not been dealt with.

I then waited all day, unable still to use the server as I would expect only then to get your unhelpful (and rude) answer.
You're calling *me* rude after that response you gave? Because you had to wait 6 hours for a response by volunteers? Wow!
markcdashdown wrote:However, my original issue remains and I have not had any practical advice. Please answer it and perhaps you might also reflect on whether this is how customer service request should be dealt with?
You start being my customer once you start paying me!
markcdashdown wrote:If I am wrong and you are not part of B3 support then please advise me who you are.
this has been answere multiple times now
markcdashdown wrote:Thanks in anticipation
Sorry but I don't think I feel inclined to give up my free time for someone who demands my effort. You read the other thread so you know what to do.
markcdashdown

Post by markcdashdown »

Well we certainly seem to have got off on the wrong foot for which i am deeply sorry and apologise. I am mortified :( :( I did not know you were a volunteer.

Please please please...I have looked at the other posts but cannot see where a solution is offered that an idiot like me (who loves the tool but is a technical innocent) can understand.

Is there any chance that you might advise me what to do? I am at a complete loss.

Mark
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

Best thing is to mail to support@excito.com and tell them about your problem. They are usually very quick and helpful. You might tell others about your solution (if they manage to fix it) on this forum.

Good luck,

Martijn
(no i'm also a customer/Bubba2 owner, my green name is just something that went wrong when the crew made me moderator ;) )
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

I don't really have anything to add to the issue at hand but I find it odd that someone who is techie enough to be buying their own Linux server doesn't get the concept of a web forum. :S
markcdashdown

Post by markcdashdown »

Thanks. I have emailed them, but, so far...nothing :(
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Jesus man, you need to have some patience. Give it at least 24 hours before complaining.
markcdashdown

Post by markcdashdown »

I am not complaining. I emailed them on Monday ;)