New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Bubba 2 - still no Internet success using pppOa

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
mc01

Bubba 2 - still no Internet success using pppOa

Post by mc01 »

My thread further down covers the first part of my problem, but I now have a more straightforward problem (I hope) which someone may be able to help with. I have a set of fixed IP addresses using pppOa internet connection. This needs a login as you will know therefore hardware is not so easy to find to allow this to bridge to the Bubba2 in WAN mode (firewall/server/router mode) as a login is required by the modem (or router in bridge mode). It is even more difficult as the subnet mask I have been given is not 255.255.255.0 so that needs altering from the standard setting and some modems do not allow this to be altered.

I can connect my Bubba2 to my router/modem using the LAN port (in server mode of course) and can access the browser setup pages no problem. No matter what I try, I can't get an internet connection. I can SSH intot he Bubba2 so can check all the files and folders. I am a but rusty with Debian but can view /etc/hosts and /etc/networks no problem. All data seems to match the Browser setup pages so all is good there. My router is set to DMZ the Bubba2's IP address and my router logs confirm packets are being allowed through my router to the Bubba. However there is no internet connection from the Bubba (i.e. updates say server not found), and no connection from the Internet to the Bubba (from another network, and using webpage test website tools). I think it may either be a firewall problem in the Bubba2, or perhaps it is the network settings.
I can also bridge my router to the Bubba using the Bubba's WAN port. In this way I can access SSH from the LAN port to a PC also, so no problem there. However again there is no Internet access to or from the Bubba as above. All I can see as a possible problem is the Gateway address cannot be changed from 0.0.0.0. , and I have already read another post on here regarding this in How-To's - How to set fixed LAN IP when using Bubba|Two as mini server - but my settings are all ok apart from the Gateway resetting to 0.0.0.0 each time.

I have also tried a seperate ADSL Modem (D-Link DSL320B) but this has bad firmware or something as the subnet mask cannot be altered to suit my fixed IP network. Therefore this option will not work with the Bubba2.

I have contacted technical department about this problem but have not yet heard back, so if anyone can point me in the right direction with the Bubba's connection settings/firewall it would be a great help :wink:

Mark
Last edited by mc01 on 03 Apr 2011, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
Ubi

Re: Bubba 2 - still no Internet success using pppOa

Post by Ubi »

So you have no internet connection to bubba but you can SSH into it? That's remarkable.
mc01

Post by mc01 »

Hi Ubi - Yes - by this I mean I can access it as usual by using Putty with SSH run from a PC on the same LAN into either the Bubba's LAN and WAN port. I haven't tried SSH from another LAN as there's no need. I'm just assuming no connection as I cannot get update to find the server, and apache is not visible from the WAN. The thread in the How-To section on this forum as mentioned outlines a similar problem as mine. Both the modem and router work ok for PCs but the Bubba simply cannot link up with the WAN provided.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

I find your posts very difficult to read because of long sentences and references to procedures and text that are not obvious. Furthermore, there's a lot of assuming, suggesting and thinking going on. Stop doing that. Don't guess it's a firewall issue. Turn off the firewall and test it (queue the "No, We Don't Wanna Think, We Wanna Know" from pulp fiction here). If you can SSH into it, you can see what the network settings are. Nu assuming is required here.
mc01

Post by mc01 »

Sorry to be trying to explain my problem. I thought that was the usual way to do so in technical forums (e.g. like CNET forums which you get flamed for NOT explaining things properly) :(

After 6 weeks with a brand new product that is not yet working correctly (& is supposed to be a 5 minute setup), you may understand my frustration.

Comments welcome from anyone who got out of bed the right side this morning :lol:
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

No we do appreciate if things are explained properly. Point is that you are not doing this by making 50-word sentences with dubious references.

To add to this, Bubba is indeed a 5 minute setup for regular home networks. Yours is not that and you know it. Personally I'm 100% sure your issue is not with Bubba but with the router and the network, so your questions should be posed elswhere.