New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Bridging eth0 and eth1?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
fredrikj

Bridging eth0 and eth1?

Post by fredrikj »

As far as I understand a B3 by default use nat and rfc1918-adresses for devices connected to the lan port. My isp merrily supplies me with all the ip addresses i need by dhcp. So I'm curious, is it a bad idea to try to bridge eth0 (wan) and eht1 (lan) instead of using forwarding and nat on eth1 and wlan0?

Basically the idea is to put this in /etc/network/interfaces:

Code: Select all

iface eth0 inet manual

iface eth1 inet manual

iface br0 inet dhcp
        bridge_ports eth0 eth1
How does the bundled excito software interact with /etc/network/interfaces? How does it respond to not having an ip adress bound to eth0 anymore? What about the default bridging of wlan0 and eth1?

Has anyone else tried something like this before? Any disadvantages or performance issues?
RandomUsername

Re: Bridging eth0 and eth1?

Post by RandomUsername »

My first thought (which may very well be wrong) would be that you wouldn't be able to access the B3 (I.e for web mabagement or ssh).
fredrikj

Post by fredrikj »

RandomUsername wrote:My first thought would be that you wouldn't be able to access the B3.
True, the b3.local address won't exist.

What I didn't mention is that I'm using dynamic dns, so the ip bound to br0 will have a routable host name. I need to make sure the ssh server listens on all interfaces though. Thanks for reminding me!

I'm not terribly interested in the b3 web interface, I prefer maintenance over ssh to web interfaces, so that in particular is not a concern for me.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

RandomUsername wrote:My first thought (which may very well be wrong) would be that you wouldn't be able to access the B3 (I.e for web mabagement or ssh).
That's easily circumvented by either adding a second IP address to the subnet alone or by lifting the restriction and letting iptables take care of the security.