New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

B3 and TOR trouble

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
supermagnum

B3 and TOR trouble

Post by supermagnum »

Somethings wrong with my TOR setup, it seems that it cannot confirm if my ORPport is functioning.
I cannot reach pages on the net if my web browser is set to use the TOR proxy servers adress.
I have set it as socks5.

From my TOR log:

Feb 05 19:00:53.747 [notice] Tor has successfully opened a circuit. Looks like client functionality is working.
Feb 05 19:00:53.747 [notice] Bootstrapped 100%: Done.
Feb 05 19:00:53.931 [notice] Guessed our IP address as xxxxxxx (source: 95.130.12.64).
Feb 05 19:20:53.362 [warn] Your server (xxxxxx:9001) has not managed to confirm that its ORPort is reachable. Please check your firewalls, ports, address, /etc/hosts file, etc.

I have Tor and polipo installed, could the culprit be a old config file some where ?
johannes

Re: B3 and TOR trouble

Post by johannes »

Can this not just be that port 9001 is blocked by a firewall between internet and your B3?
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
Gordon

Re: B3 and TOR trouble

Post by Gordon »

johannes wrote:Can this not just be that port 9001 is blocked by a firewall between internet and your B3?
I'd say yes. ORPort is about being a TOR server, so that won't work if the firewall is up. According to the supplied log client functionality is working, so most likely the problem with the webbrowser is not related to the ORPort issue.

Remember what I wrote in reply to the TOR howto recently? TOR is conceptually wrong in that it only talks SOCKS while webbrowsers talk HTTP (or FTP). That is why you need Polipo, because that is what does the HTTP proxying and it is Polipo that next uses SOCKS to transfer the requests onto the TOR network.