New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Failed 2.4 update using dselect on B3

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
wayfarer

Failed 2.4 update using dselect on B3

Post by wayfarer »

I have had the habbit of using dselect to update the packages. When I run that this morning I got the 2.4 B3 kernel update, squeezeserver update etc. No halting errors in the update of the packages. Then I did a restart and that resulted in the machine failing to boot. It comes to a state, pretty quickly (20-30 s from power on), where it appears to restart the network interfaces every 5 seconds.

I have booted with a rescuse system and checked the logs. But, there is nothing in the logs that appears to be later than the from during the shutdown going for the reboot. Any advice on what can be the cause of this? Or is the only way forward to do a system re-install?

Thanks for any help.
rog

Re: Failed 2.4 update using dselect on B3

Post by rog »

So you're essentially still on 2.3.x, with a 2.4 kernel? Have you tried updating the whole system to 2.4? I get the impression that you're kind of treating it like it's a rolling release, that may not be your best course of action.
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

rog wrote:So you're essentially still on 2.3.x, with a 2.4 kernel? Have you tried updating the whole system to 2.4? I get the impression that you're kind of treating it like it's a rolling release, that may not be your best course of action.
Yes, that is probably true. The problem was that I wasn't aware of the 2.4 release when I run dselect. I just got the new kernel when updating all the packages I have installed.

And it was clearly not the best course of action. The issue I have now, is that as the machine doesn't boot at all, so I have no idea how to update the system part when booting from the rescue system. Thus my question, can I do something to fix this so the machine boots? Or do I need to reinstall the system back to 2.3.1.1 and then update properly to 2.4 and then install my customizations and packages?
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

I did a backup of the files on the system partition just in case I have forgotten to backup anything specific and reinstalled 2.3.1.1 and then updated using web-interface. Now it is just the work to restore the services and configurations I have.