New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

reinstalling bubba on minimal debian

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
HnLn

reinstalling bubba on minimal debian

Post by HnLn »

Hi there,

I reverted my b3 to a minimal debian as explained here: http://wiki.excito.org/wiki/index.php/R ... stallation. I did this to do some drupal/php dev on my b3 but sadly it's just too slow, so I moved my dev to a virtual box on my pc and now I want to switch my b3 back to a default install. I have multiple users with home folders in /home/.

Questions:
* can I just move these home folders into /home/storage and then do a custom reinstall ?
* can I re add my users afterwards and reset the permissions on a default bubba ? (I remeber reading somewhere that multiple users are hard on a standard b3).
* are there any other caveats I should look out for ?

Tnx
ahoff

Re: reinstalling bubba on minimal debian

Post by ahoff »

Åke Hoff
Örskogen
Sweden
HnLn

Post by HnLn »

Tnx, but that is not really what I asked, I want to know about my users and if multiple users work from /home/storage.
johannes

Post by johannes »

If you have users in /home/user1, /home/user2 etc you should be fine. Leave them there and do a re-install with FORMAT=0 and PARTITION=0 options set in the config file, as explained in the wiki article above. This prevents the install to touch anything in the /home partition, however it re-formats the root partition and re-installs the systme completely.

After this you can re-create the users from the web UI, and you should be fine. (Their respective folders under /home will then be linked).

It is possible that you manually have to re-organize the access rights to those folders afterwards though.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)