New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

bubba aptitude and maven 3

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
yziquel

bubba aptitude and maven 3

Post by yziquel »

Hi.

I've got a small question, or rather 'request for advice' when it comes to how well bubba3 (recently acquired) plays with aptitude. My use case is simply that I wish to pull in the debian package for maven 3, which is in experimental. Which means tweaking the /etc/apt/sources.list.d files.

My question: are there any strong 'dont do that' objection or things to be careful about when pulling in Debian experimental repos with respect to the bubba-specific .debs?

Thank you so much for this box. So glad to see Debian shipped this way...
yziquel

Re: bubba aptitude and maven 3

Post by yziquel »

For instance, when I see this in /etc/apt/preferences:

# Upstream main debian, currently squeeze
Package: *
Pin:
release o=Debian, n=elvin, v=4.0r4a, c=main
Pin-Priority: 500

# Upstream contrib debian, currently squeeze
Pin:
release o=Debian, n=elvin, v=4.0r4a, c=contrib
Pin-Priority: 400

# Upstream non-free debian, currently squeeze
Pin:
release o=Debian, n=elvin, v=4.0r4a, c=non-free
Pin-Priority: 300

I really do wonder what is this 4.0r4a version for Debian, and how I should properly manage my apt-pinning to include non-stable distributions of Debian, such as wheezy, sid or experimental.

For now, I'm tempted to remove these v=4.0r4a declarations as I'm unable to track them in excito's or Debian's repositories. And replace them by other declarations. Would appreciate knowing upfront whether this is a good or bad idead.

Thanks.
Kiff

Post by Kiff »

If you only want maven 3 you don't really need the deb package. Just download it from http://maven.apache.org/download.html , extract it (tar -xvf filename) and add add the bin folder to $PATH.
yziquel

Post by yziquel »

Well, not only. I was essentially searching at the best way to hook in non-stable Debian packages than specifically worrying about maven 3. Maven 3 was just a showcase... Thanks anyway.