New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

invalid passwords

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
toukie

invalid passwords

Post by toukie »

The B3 web interface doesn't recognize my passwords anymore after some experimentation with things.....
What can I do about it by ssh if it still works, it has been on and off too with: "Authentication failure". What could be reset, where and how, if ssh gives me one more chance to do anything?

Can the reinstall be done without erasing files in /home/web?

New admin and users is no big problem, /home/web is very important.
ahoff

Re: invalid passwords

Post by ahoff »

Åke Hoff
Örskogen
Sweden
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

If you can ssh into the B3, chances are that you only wrecked the web interface and you can reinstall that from the ssh shell. It all depends on what you did when things went wrong.
toukie

Post by toukie »

I guess that DenyHosts + TightVNC + Restrict admin access to LAN + Fail2ban + SSH was an overdose for password management on my / Mac / Debian / B3 / mix.

It's good news that the system can be reinstalled without losing all the personal files!

Thanks for advice even when the more advanced information flies far beyond my low digital-IQ -horizon! :D
Last edited by toukie on 14 Jul 2012, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
toukie

Post by toukie »

Well, next time I'll know how to do re-installing smoothly in 2 minutes. Now it's only the usual database mess left: "Error establishing a database connection" messages, and the like. What causes these problems?

Well, I found out what the problem is. The databases are simply gone when re-installation is done! A mention of that could have been in the re-installation wiki. It says that: "There is an option that can be set of - not formatting the hard drive and keeping your user data while still re-installing your system."
That's bullshit when your databases are gone! All your data is gone with the databases!
toukie

Post by toukie »

The MySQL integration with B3 should be explained a bit better in the wiki. It's in the databases where you have your stuff!

Now with re-installation you lose all your stuff if you don't have back-ups.

If you have created own databases, like for WordPress or for Owncloud, you lose all the data while re-installing.

One more thing is that if you work with those databases you are going to lose the B3 upgrade function (with following information): "Failed to access MySQL with default root login, unable to continue with upgrade".

You can still upgrade B3 from command line.

These things could be explained somewhere, it would help an ordinary user who's no expert in these matters.
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

First, I'm pretty sure it is documented somewhere that the web update won't work if you've set a root MySQL password.

Second, I'd be surprised (but am prepared to be corrected) if nowhere does it state that the /home directory is preserved but everything else is blitzed. An "ordinary user who's no expert" isn't likely to be doing something that creates a non-standard database. Also, if you're going to be doing things you're not sure of like mess around with Deny Hosts, then it would be sensible to have backups.

In short, I can understand your annoyance but you seem to have caused all your problems yourself.
nobody

Post by nobody »

DO I understand correctly that the OP re-installed the OS and is now mad at everyone because his MySQL data is gone? :D This is one for the books.
johannes

Post by johannes »

Yes, I fully understand you are annoyed, but the wiki states that only /home is kept untouched. Very sorry...
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
toukie

Post by toukie »

I'm not annoyed at all. These experiments are done with own risk! B3 is a great tool for learning! The wiki maybe could tell that databases are not included in user data so that one would be careful to have back-ups of them before re-installing.
Nrde

Post by Nrde »

toukie wrote:I'm not annoyed at all. These experiments are done with own risk! B3 is a great tool for learning! The wiki maybe could tell that databases are not included in user data so that one would be careful to have back-ups of them before re-installing.
To keep your database data safe, you should make a backup and then import after.

By default there is no "users own" data on B3 database. You have just used B3's db for your own purposes.

It might be good to have that mentioned when re-installing or in documentation though.
johannes

Post by johannes »

Ok, have clarified the wiki article even further.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)