New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

No writing from Mac, but from Windows

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
nobody

Re: No writing from Mac, but from Windows

Post by nobody »

I'm guessing here, but I think there have been changes in the AFP daemon last month because Apple changed the way macs handle AFP in the new OSX lion. Maybe the patch supplied to handle this change has some by-effect in the permissions that you see.

THe way you currently handle your files is just not a good way to work, even when it does not give you errors. You should make a dedicated user on the B3, connect your mac to B3 with those user credentials, and then re-upload your stuff. Using the guest account is just not a safe idea.
BadTicket

Post by BadTicket »

Thanks for that, I think I understand what the problem is. But the problem is still here and I'm getting a little bit (nice said, the truth is I'm very) angry. But maybe I do another fault. What I've done:

I add a new user called "media", announce me as "media" and move the music files from "guest" (Public share) to "media" (User share). Now I have the rights to copy something inside these folders and delete it, but it's not possible to change anything with the music files. I still have only the read rights and can't change anything. So nothing has changed for me :|

What can I do to get back MY files from the B3?
Nrde

Post by Nrde »

BadTicket wrote:What can I do to get back MY files from the B3?
You haven't given the most clear picture of what happened. but if I try to summarise what I understand.

- You have at some point uploaded files to B3 as a guest (or admin?)
- until recently Mac/B3 did not respect the built in access right
- in near past B3 was fixed so that now Mac respects the access rights
- or userid of the directories files was changed
- all uploaded files have wrong user rights, preventing deletion of all files

So what you need to do is to log on as your "media" user with SSH to get to command line. Then promote yourself to a root user using sudo su (and type your administrator password, by default excito). Then cd to the directory containing said inaccessible files. Then do "chmod 777 ." (someone can tell a fancy one line shell command to do that from the root directory)

You need to give write permission to the directories also. I think it needs to have execution rights (777 includes that) You can see the existing rights by listing the directly with ls -l

Maybe I'm totally wrong as I haven't been able to fix my images/albums permissions yet myself :)
BadTicket

Post by BadTicket »

You describe exactly what I've done. Start the B3, found place on it under "guest" and copy my files on it. I was happy to have such an easy tool, using it with my Mac, my iDevices, some PCs and with the PS3. Now everything gets complicated, but I see there are some solutions...

To anser some questions from you:
- You have at some point uploaded files to B3 as a guest (or admin?)
Yes, as a guest

- until recently Mac/B3 did not respect the built in access right
Everything was so easy, I can do what I want and that was OK for me. I never changed any rights, because I use only "free" datas on my B3

- in near past B3 was fixed so that now Mac respects the access rights
It seems so, this could be happen after an upgrade of the software. But I don't understand why only Mac-Users get this access rights and Windows-Users - as a guest too - can still do everything. This is a big fault for me!

- or userid of the directories files was changed
I don't know how to do that, so I'm shure this should not be happened

- all uploaded files have wrong user rights, preventing deletion of all files
Not all. I see that only newer files have this problems. I would say files that are younger than a couple of weeks

To work with a command line is not so my thing, but if necessary, I do it. But is it possible too, to copy all files on another device, reinstall the whole B3 and copy then all files to a user like "media"? I think - if this works - it's less critical to make a fault.