New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

USB DVD Wishes

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
flygare

USB DVD Wishes

Post by flygare »

Somebody know if it's possible to make a Samsung usb DVD- reader work on a B3. It would be really nice to stream a DVD-movie over the dlna to my media-player. Have no idea if this is possible to do, but it would be really nice.

Regards,
Björn
flygare

Re: USB DVD Wishes

Post by flygare »

Had some progress, DVD-unit is working, and I access The move by using Windows file sharing and my WD TV Live HD. Menu works and copyright text is showing up, but the actual move don't start. Could it be The copy protection in The DVD that kicks in?
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

Did you try it with an unprotected DVD? This should provide you with the answer...
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

AFAIK there's a limit to what DLNA can/will stream. From what I read it does not stream a raw DVD; it requires transcoding the DVD to MPeG first (using ffmpeg) before streaming it and that's probably too big for the B3 to handle.

Sharing the DVD mount point through Samba is probably the best option you could use, but yes region coding can be a real bitch. I'm currently working on ripping all my DVDs to my media player and I found that with several DVDs it would fail to read them - even though the drive is set to the correct region code! I now use a Windows VM with Anydvd installed and MakeMKV to rip the movies and that works like a charm.
flygare

Post by flygare »

I have now tried to play a unprotected move and it worked just fine with help of samba and WDTV. My wishes was to be able to rent a move and play it without a dvd-player and without ripping it. Had a PS3 before, but every time Sony comes out with a upgrade the PS3 got more and more restricted.