New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

[SOLVED] Quickest way to copy from USB to B3

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
flimflam

[SOLVED] Quickest way to copy from USB to B3

Post by flimflam »

First to know what is hardware:

PC: HP 4530s ( Glan )
LAN: Cat5e
Router: Netgear WNDR3700 ( Glan )
B3: directly in router ( Glan )
ICyBox: IB NAS 901with USB 2.0 in PC

When copying from USB disc to B3 the maximum speed is 11954 kilobytes per second ( Total Commander )
When copying from USB disc to PC speed is around 22 235 kb/s

I have two questions?

1) Why so low?
2) How to find the problem in low transfer speed?

All ideas wellcome!

One additional question how do you prefer to copy files from 1T USB disc to 1T B3 and not to spend own youth.
Last edited by flimflam on 26 Aug 2013, 03:57, edited 2 times in total.
Binkem

Re: Quickest way to copy from USB to B3

Post by Binkem »

I find that if you copy from B3 to a external drive attached to the B3 using Windows the system seems to copy from B3 to drive (or vice-versa) via your windows computer, thus restricting bandwith and copy speed. Though it is a lot less user-friendly copying using the commandline interface of your B3 (via Putty) is faster.

Martijn
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

If this were true then the PCI bus, the HDD or the CPU must be saturated at 2.5MB/s, which is not very likely.

But I agree, there is something inherently inefficient about windows copying between two remote devices. Considering the change in speed is about 50% it almost sounds as if windows is transferring the data twice over the USB.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Much depends on what you're copying. You can copy a single 1TB file in a fraction of the time required to copy 10,000 files that count up to the same size.

Doing a small test here, I'm actually amazed about the speed that I get. The maximum transfer rate I can achieve is about 35MB/s (using netcat), which is just over one fourth of the theoretical bandwidth I should be able to get. Samba gives me about 24MB/s, which is roughly two thirds of the maximum transfer rate and that corresponds exactly to what I find in different sources on the internet.

To answer your question: you will always get the best performance when copying files between Direct Attached Storage devices. So like Martijn says you should plug the USB drive onto the B3 and copy from console. This should give you the same rate as you get on the PC, which is not really fast as well but is apparently the limit on this particular drive.
flimflam

Post by flimflam »

Okay, but is there some file manager while using console? Or you mean to copy particulary all folders one after another using command line?!

In meantime ( two days ) job is finished, bus free space on my 1TB B3 is about 2,43 GB.

So another question is how full should be the disc to work properly?
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

you can use mc as a command-line gui, but using rsync is a lot more reliable as it tolerates losing the connection halfway.

Code: Select all

rsync -av /mnt/usbdisk/* /home/phone/ET/
flimflam

Post by flimflam »

I made some tests and the main problem with my network was LAN cable. When I changed the cable, speeds dramatically rise up.

So now when downloading directly to the disc from B3 speed is around 29954 kilobytes per second, upload is little bit lower.

But something strange is that if I enabled jumbo frames uploads went to 35654 kilobytes per second, but downloads drop to 16 543 kilobytes per second. So I let it unchecked.