New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

I have been attacked and don't know why.

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Ubi

Re: I have been attacked and don't know why.

Post by Ubi »

Johannes, are you going to fix the erroneous shell setting for www-data in this patch?
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Ubi wrote:Johannes, are you going to fix the erroneous shell setting for www-data in this patch?
For what reason exactly? It doesn't in any way block the spawning of a (different) shell. Only thing it would prevent is someone changing the password and then be able to get in directly through ssh, meaning that the server would need to have ssh enabled to the outside world.

That said. Is there any particular reason why Squeeze has /bin/sh in the first place?
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

johannes wrote:Oh, we must have missed that. The exploit info stated otherwise: http://www.exploit-db.com/exploits/29290/, I'll check with the devs on how to proceed.
Hi Johannes,

I just upgraded to 5.3.3-7+squeeze17 and retried the exploit. It now returns with a HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error, so that definitely appears to fix the issue.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

It is good practice and has been shown to mitigate a number of scriptkiddie attacks. There is no reason *not* to have it. But it is not a silver bullet. Same goes for other UIDs that do not need a shell.
ryz

Post by ryz »

Gordon wrote:
Ubi wrote:That said. Is there any particular reason why Squeeze has /bin/sh in the first place?
Probably because Debian has it that way see this bug report
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

ryz wrote:
Gordon wrote:
Ubi wrote:That said. Is there any particular reason why Squeeze has /bin/sh in the first place?
Probably because Debian has it that way see this bug report
Well yeah, but that was the question.
johannes

Post by johannes »

Ok, fix released to Elvin now, we have done a few days of testing and it looks OK. I will make a public forum upgrade announcement on monday.

@Ubi, no, the fix is just a quick php5 wrapper to stop that exploit, to make it as fast as possible. You are right that a more general security update is needed as well.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

Hi guys!

I've been away for quite some time know. Good to see most of you are still here :)

Yesterday I noticed, by pure accident, that my B3 was under attack. The tell tale was a bot.php line when listing processes for a different reason. I also noticed a lot of /sbin/init processes running. Came here to warn you and see if anyone else have had the same attack, when I found this thread.

I have since then been going through the log files and I can see in the apache log that the attack started Nov 2. At Nov 4 there were several attempts by www-data to gain root access, and yesterday www-data tried to gain access as me and all other users on the B3. I couldn't find any cron jobs by www-data, but the log reveals there have been some the last days. For some reason they are gone now (not my doing).

Now, the system has been updated and everything seems to act normal, but is there any chance they can have put some back door on the system? I'm a complete newbie when it comes to securing webservers and locate possible threats. Any input on this matter is very welcome.

/Johan
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi all,

I only just recently noticed this too (Novemeber 4th)
CPU was running high. top showed several "perl" processes, but they where not in the ps output.
There was a lot of stuff started by www-data via /sbin/init though.
Since then port 80 has been blocked in my firewall, I have removed tonnes of web-related shite I have carelessly installed during the years, owned by www-data. For some reason this was the last place I looked; I thought it was my own doing...
Patch is now applied, but I'm still suspicious.

This post is only really here to make sure I get an email update if there are any developments in this thread :-)
(Sorry for wasting space...)

Cheers,

Cheeseboy
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

Hi again!

Still examining my B3 for back doors.

Just noticed that on my unit there is a /usr/lib/cgi-bin/php5.orig (6.9MB) along with a /usr/lib/cgi-bin/php5 (5.7kB). Is this file normal (it is a binary for ARM)? The time stamp of the php5 one is Nov 5, which is after the initial attack. It's owned by root and I can't see they have gained root access, but then I've only been skimming the log files.

/Johan
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi Johan,

So do I:

Code: Select all

root@b3:/# ls -l /usr/lib/cgi-bin/php5
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5830 Nov  5 12:09 /usr/lib/cgi-bin/php5
root@b3:/# md5sum /usr/lib/cgi-bin/php5
6d08ae95aec38206b64c3205431eb983  /usr/lib/cgi-bin/php5
It is probably the patch you've just applied. The date would be when it was built.
Check if the c-time matches the time when you installed the patch:

Code: Select all

root@b3:/# ls -lct /usr/lib/cgi-bin/php5
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5830 Nov  9 20:30 /usr/lib/cgi-bin/php5
I do think Excito should tell us exactly what has been done though, so we don't have to worry about things like this.

Cheers,

Cheeseboy
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Well I guess that with these last few posts the backdoor is exposed again (to a hacker reading this board).
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

you read too many spy novels.

anyway, the php5 config is identical on my system, with the same MD5. The observed intrusion @cheeseboy is no evidence that the backdoor is exposed again or even whether it is the same vulnerability. It could even be remnants of an intrusion that initiated before the patch and wasnt fully cleaned.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

@Ubi Not as many as those that believe that hackers are specifically targeting B2/B3 owners.

Somewhat amazing that it took this long for people to discover that they'd been hacked. The first log entries I have on this exploit date back to June 10 and there are actually not that many. There's just 68 of them, including two today. The IP addresses are probably spoofed, but while the attempts continue I may try to alter my catch-all script to retrieve the payload of the request and see what's actually going on. If they have a terminal set up to listen for incoming connections I'll then know their real address.
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

Gordon wrote:Well I guess that with these last few posts the backdoor is exposed again (to a hacker reading this board).
Ahh, stupid me. I guess I realize my mistake now. I was so eager trying to find back doors I mistook the protection for a possible back door. Sorry 'bout that :oops:

Guess this is the first time I've provided too much information, it's usually the opposite :?

/Johan