New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Kernel source for 2.6.39.4-11

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
jmilton

Kernel source for 2.6.39.4-11

Post by jmilton »

Hi,

I notice the kernel source for 2.6.39.4-11 is not available to download under
download.excito.net/kernel/Excito_B3/

Please could you make this available

Thanks
fredrikj

Re: Kernel source for 2.6.39.4-11

Post by fredrikj »

jmilton wrote:I notice the kernel source for 2.6.39.4-11 is not available ...
In general I'd expect the source for a debian package to be published in the package archive, rather than in a separate location. Right now Excito's debian archive seems only to contain the source for 2.6.39.4-9 which isn't the latest installed version on my B3, and 2.6.39.4-13 which only seems to be available for powerpc, not armel. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

b3.update.excito.org/pool/main/l/linux/

Excito's kernel repository contains source for kernel 2.6.39.4, though I'm not sure that it contains any extra patches. I'd guess not?

github /Excito/kernel

PS. The forum software forces me to obscure urls. Would it be possible to whitelist github and excito.org?
Gordon

Re: Kernel source for 2.6.39.4-11

Post by Gordon »

They are all the same source and yes that is confusing.

This is because the source is not a straight kernel source but a package manager source. It includes an official Debian source for version 2.6.39.4 and a bunch of kernel patches. When you start building the package, which is somewhat hocuspocus to me, it will add the "-13" based on the content of the changelog file. To make a "-11" version you need to delete the top two entries in that changelog (the related changes are arbitrary for the B3).

All of this is useless however if you require the kernel source for building third party modules. If you use the source as is, then your modules will be stamped with the wrong version and the kernel will refuse to load them. To fix this you must edit the Makefile and change the value for Extraversion from ".4" to ".4-11".