New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Backup missing options

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
canonjon

Backup missing options

Post by canonjon »

Hi

I wanted to try the B3 own backup function. I logged on as admin and selected backup. I selected my external usb harddrive but the next step I can only choose all users data, all music, all pictures, all videos and all storage. I want to make another selection then those five options, is that possible?

In the B3 manual it shows that it possible to make a custom selestion, why can´t I do that?

If it is not possible to make a custom, selection, can I install another backup program that allows me to make my own choices?

Best Regards
Jon
Gordon

Re: Backup missing options

Post by Gordon »

Actually, the backup system will do whatever you like. It's just the GUI that adds limits to it and constrains you to the choices that were made by the Excito developers. Which are fine for most users, but just not for the more demanding.
johannes

Post by johannes »

Exactly, if you start a backup job you I think you can look at the config files for that job, and edit them accordingly. I don't have the exact location in my head right now, let me know if you need more detailed instructions.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
canonjon

Post by canonjon »

Hi Johannes

If I start a backup job where can I find the config file?

Best Regards
Jon
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

You're pushing. Johannes already implied he'd have to look into it to find that answer. He did not say that he would, so the correct question for you to ask would be if he'd be willing to do so, rather then trying to sound impatient that the answer wasn't volunteered to you already.

In any case, searching for the string "backup" in the web-admin pages it would appear that the file you're looking for will reside in /root/.backup/

Or you could go straight to the rsync documentation and do it your way instead of attempting to tweak what someone else did and may still end up to be something else than you desire.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Well in defense, Johannes did state "let me know if you need more detailed instruction".
Then again /root/.backup is a bit of an awful place for a backup config file though. I would not have considered that location even after doing a string search.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Honestly I don't even know that is still the correct location. It mostly appears in a file named oldbackup.php, so it's probably where the old backup system stored its files. It makes sense though that the newer backup procedure would use that same location.

That said, I'd stick to if you want something out of the box then get out of the box. Trying to change what is in the box, while not knowing what the results will be, can only end in disappointment.
johannes

Post by johannes »

Hi guys, no worries. :)

Turned out it wasn't that simple, the config files are:

Code: Select all

/etc/bubba/remote_accounts.yml
/etc/bubba/remote_backup_jobs.yml
/etc/bubba/local_backup_jobs.yml
but there seems to be another abstraction layer. You should be able to ugly-hack your way of fixing this here:

Code: Select all

/usr/share/web-admin/admin/views/default/_js/backup.coffee
but nicer would of course be to add a new option, allowing an entry of any path. All source code is available here, knock yourself out:
https://github.com/Excito/bubba-frontend :)

By the way, the configs in /root/.backup is not something i recognize, could be remains of the old backup but I don't think so, those configs where in /home/admin/.backup if I remember correctly.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Could be. The references I found only mentioned a folder .backup and not willing to go the length I just assumed that the base folder was /root
canonjon

Post by canonjon »

Hi

Thanks for all the help, but it seems that this is a bit over my head. I will give it a try and see if I can figure it out.

Best regards
Jon
johannes

Post by johannes »

Yes, I didn't mean to scare you away, if you have a look in the backup.coffee file with a text editor it should be quite simple I hope.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Most and probably already too much of what you need to know:

Rsync (Remote Sync): 10 Practical Examples of Rsync Command in Linux

Kind of weird though that the person that wrote that page insists on implementing compression on the wire (-z option) with local transfers. I would scratch that.
stasheck

Post by stasheck »

canonjon, please describe what _exactly_ you want to achieve and I'll see if I can help you :-)