New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Using B3 as “Router + Firewall + Server” but not DHCP server

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
marjon

Using B3 as “Router + Firewall + Server” but not DHCP server

Post by marjon »

I have several units connected to my local net and I’m using local DHCP and name servers. When B3 is connected to my net it receives information from my DHCP-server and I’m able to communicate with it. However B3 don’t seem to “understand” that it is supposed to act as default gateway.
I guess a good start would be to give it a static IP instead as some of the information it receives from the DHCP-server is confusing.
I’ve read the post about how to give B3 a static address but it seems to apply more to when routing is not desired.
All my previous firewalls have had an option to disable the DHCP-server from the web interface so I have never been forced to look in to this issue before.
Nöbbe

Re: Using B3 as “Router + Firewall + Server” but not DHCP se

Post by Nöbbe »

So you want the B3 to be router and firewall, but it should not be a DHCP server. Does this mean it should be a DHCP client on both network interfaces?

Or do you only whish to turn off the DHCP server when the "Router + Firewall + Server" setting is choosen, and set the IP on the LAN interface manually?
marjon

Post by marjon »

On the WAN side I need it to be DHCP client to get the right settings.
On LAN side it doesn't matter as I want it to have the address 192.168.0.1 and that is outside the DHCP pool so there should be no risk of address conflict. In other words, static settings on LAN side is OK.

For me it would work fine if the DHCP-server part is always disabled regardless of setting chosen.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

I think you're overlooking the 5 additional pages in 'Network'. The web interface allows DHCP server to be enabled and disabled on the LAN interface configuration page. The default for your chosen profile, 'Router + Firewall + Server', is that WAN (the internet) will take DHCP offerings and LAN (the local network) has a static address hosting a caching name server and DHCP server.
marjon wrote:However B3 don’t seem to “understand” that it is supposed to act as default gateway.
This I don't understand. If the B3 has a path to the target, it will route anything that you send to it. Default route is what you tell a computer to send packets to that it doesn't know how to reach itself, i.e. anything that is not in the same IP range and also has no dedicated route declared for it.

Now if you want to use the B3 as default router for your local network, but you want a different machine to be the DHCP server for your local network, than you must configure that other DHCP server to set the appropriate value for the default route option (option code 3). Obviously you'll want to set a static IP on the B3 LAN interface for this, because you wouldn't want to keep updating that value every time the DHCP offering changes.