New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Have B3 now what? Anyone want to buy in UK maybe?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
adiefatlady

Have B3 now what? Anyone want to buy in UK maybe?

Post by adiefatlady »

Hi
I came across a B3 unused in box etc.

With Excito going bust I cant upgrade it and the things i want to use it for (minimum backup and video files for access in the home) don't seem to work (I cant seem to do network backup to B3 from win 7 as I get "Error: the version does not support this version of the file format." which seems to be a samba issue - not allowed to post link to fix i tried but basically adding strict allocate = yes to samb.conf)
Video streaming may work but havent tried.

I did think of replacing with something like Nas4Free and tried but didnt get very far with the live usb option but its the only one that has 512mb as min memory option and supports X86 (is B3 X86?)

Anyone give me some advice on what i can do with it? Im technical but not really with Linux though i know a bit.
Can i overwrite it with something like Nas4Free or something similar?
Can i fix the samba issue and use it for win 7 backups and video streaming?
Anyone want to buy it rather than me chucking it? Its in pristine as new condition. UK only.

Thanks
Gordon

Re: Have B3 now what? Anyone want to buy in UK maybe?

Post by Gordon »

The B3 is ARMv5 and has rather tricky hardware that requires a specialized kernel to boot. Even if NAS4Free would support ARMv5 it would still be very unlikely that you could boot and access the B3 with it.

The trouble with newer Windows with the old Samba version from the original Bubba OS is related to encryption of the authentication protocols. There is a registry fix you can use to force Windows using the old protocol, or you can use a newer samba. There is a more or less supported newer samba version in Squeeze backports that should work.

Other options are available in the development forum on this site, including two live USB versions that you can try before installing. If you choose the gentoo version you can also install my port of the original web admin interface.
philgaskin

Re: Have B3 now what? Anyone want to buy in UK maybe?

Post by philgaskin »

Hi,
I'd potentially consider buying your B3 if you are still wanting to sell it. Is a WIFI model, how much was it used and how much do you want for it?
I have a B3 that I'm considering upgrading. A second until would make the process easier.
Let me know,
Phil