New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

myownb3.com problems

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
thunder

Re: myownb3.com problems

Post by thunder »

No I find the problem, there's one error on patch
Sorry.
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

Gordon wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 13:46 @MouettE
Would it be possible to extend the easyfind API to return the IP address associated with a specific name? That would at least allow us to query the address and possibly use that in a service that updates the local hosts file.
The easiest way to do that is to query directly the DNS servers with dig with something like : dig @ns1.excito.org <name>.myownb3.com

The DNS team at rodeus is working on the issue, we should have more news tomorrow morning. Thanks for your patience.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Good point.

Sharing my script for those interested:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

if [ -z "$1" ]; then
    myname=$(echo $0 | sed "s/^.*\/\([^\/][^\/]*\)$/\1/")
    echo "Usage: $myname <identity>"
    exit
fi

newip=$(dig @ns1.excito.org $1.myownb3.com | grep -v "^[;]" | grep -v "^$" | awk '{print $5}')
oldip=$(grep "$1.myownb3.com" /etc/hosts | awk '{print $1}')

if [ -z "${oldip}" ]; then
    #ensure newline at end of file
    sed -i -e '$a\' /etc/hosts
    # append record
    echo "add record for $1.myownb3.com (${newip})"
    echo -e "${newip}\t$1.myownb3.com" >> /etc/hosts
    /etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart
    exit
fi

if [ -z "${newip}" ]; then
    echo "ERROR: record not found"
    exit
fi

if [ "${newip}" != "${oldip}" ]; then
    # replace existing record
    echo "update record for $1.myownb3.com (${oldip} => ${newip})"
    sed -e "s/^${oldip}\s/${newip}\t/" -i /etc/hosts
    /etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart
    exit
fi
josvergeer

Post by josvergeer »

All is working again.
Thanks for your effort.

Jos
elsbernd

Post by elsbernd »

It seems to me, that easyfind has stopped working recently with the update error message: "Easyfind fehlgeschlagen mit folgendem Fehler: Antwort enthielt keinen gültigen Fehlercode.
Server antwortet:Failed to connect to database server"
I run the old /usr/lib/web-admin/easyfind.pl manually with the same result:
"postJ7%2BCGWNxrm7rSKR2NWGFu8PeEwU%3D00:22:02:00:24:2aFailed to connect to database serverprint message: HTTP::Response=HASH(0x4a4048)msgFailed to connect to database servererrortrue{"msg":"Failed to connect to database server","record":{},"error":"true"}"

Has the feature finally stopped working?
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

System works fine on my end. I still continue to maintain the easyfind systems so don't hesitate to contact me here or via DM if you have issues.
elsbernd

Post by elsbernd »

Thank you for maintaining easyfind. I'm still running a b3 with the old debian. :-) the external ID should be trippstadt.myownb3.com with IP-Address 84.180.157.132; but the dns entry remains on the old 84.180.91.90.
Eaysfind.pl reports the error message in my last post.
maybe something has changed and I haven't noticed this.
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

Hello again,

I've started a fresh install of the old excito image on one of my b3 and indeed both hotfix/upgrades and easyfind systems were broken. I've made some changes on the web server for these services (re-added old cryptographic protocols in nginx) and it seems to have fixed both hotfix/upgrades and easyfind. Let me know !
elsbernd

Post by elsbernd »

:D
worked.
You mentioned "the old excito image" Are there new ones? Or can I update to a more recent one?
I heard something years ago, that other distros could be used, but never looked actually at them.
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

There are new images available with more modern OS. You can go in the development section of the forum everything is there. There is no upgrade path from the old excito images to these new images.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Oh... That makes perfect sense. Yes, various encryption standards have been marked as unsafe and deprecated over the years and although openssl still contains the code for it they have fairly recently set these standards to `disabled` by default. I experience similar issues when trying to connect to some older IoT and Squeezebox devices, for which I needed to enable the older encryption in my ssh client. Didn't think that the reverse would also apply, i.e. a server not accepting an older client.
elsbernd

Post by elsbernd »

sorry to bother you (MouettE) again.
As I run the old excito-software (behind a firewall), you actually made the easyfind.pl working again.
It seems, that something went wrong again. When I run the script, the DNS name will actually be updated to the new IP-address, but only one or 2 minutes later, the DNS-Entry reverted back to an old IP-address. Here a console output, what happens:

Code: Select all

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   trippstadt.myownb3.com
Address: 84.180.157.132

^C
root@b3:~# /usr/lib/web-admin/easyfind.pl; while true; do date; nslookup trippstadt.myownb3.com 8.8.8.8; sleep 20; done
postJ7%2BCGWNxrm7rSKR2NWGFu8PeEwU%3D00:22:02:00:24:2aprint message: HTTP::Response=HASH(0x5d67f0)opcode1recordHASH(0x5d9bc0)errorfalseoperationIPupdate{"opcode":1,"record":{"domain_id":"1","content":"84.180.91.57","name":"trippstadt.myownb3.com","type":"A","id":"1430"},"error":false,"operation":"IPupdate"}
Sun Apr 17 15:17:25 CEST 2022
Server:         8.8.8.8
Address:        8.8.8.8#53

Address: 84.180.91.57

Sun Apr 17 15:17:46 CEST 2022

Address: 84.180.91.57

Sun Apr 17 15:18:06 CEST 2022

Sun Apr 17 15:18:26 CEST 2022

Any ideas?
Klaus
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

Thanks for this. It seems that the synchronization between the two dns servers broke for some reason (zones serials are synced but your record is not, that explains the values you see, google DNS rotates between the two nameservers). I've forced a sync and tested adding values and it seems to work ok.
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

Gordon wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 03:12 Yes, various encryption standards have been marked as unsafe and deprecated over the years and although openssl still contains the code for it they have fairly recently set these standards to `disabled` by default[...]Didn't think that the reverse would also apply, i.e. a server not accepting an older client.
Eventually the support for these old protocols will disappear... Until then I'll try to keep them enabled on the old services.
elsbernd

Post by elsbernd »

Thank you again.
MouettE wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 10:12
Gordon wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 03:12 Yes, various encryption standards have been marked as unsafe and deprecated over the years and although openssl still contains the code for it they have fairly recently set these standards to `disabled` by default[...]Didn't think that the reverse would also apply, i.e. a server not accepting an older client.
Eventually the support for these old protocols will disappear... Until then I'll try to keep them enabled on the old services.
Yes I know. Yes, it's necessary; Yes, I should have updated b3 years ago... :-)
But they are running and I use them for my smart home environment, NFS camera server...
And if eventually the support will disappear, then I'll invest some time to follow new standards. My B3's can't be accessed from the internet, so no risks using the old unsafe protocols/programs/hardware. They only provide a DNS entry easily (thanks for providing the service after all these years) for my real server, which I try to access from outside.