New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

How I reinstalled my Bubba

How are you using your Bubba? Got ideas for a cool modification? Share!
niclas

How I reinstalled my Bubba

Post by niclas »

I wrote a little walkthrough of how I did, step by step, when I reinstalled my Bubba.

http://howledge.com/index.php?sid=51&la ... artlang=en
Last edited by niclas on 17 Dec 2007, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
dbudbu

Please, excito, throw us a bone..

Post by dbudbu »

Oh come on!

This is linux we're talking about here.. is there really no further technical guidance than
".. put the image on a usb drive.."
and hang us out to dry puttering around with external hard-drives etc..?

Which partition of the drive?

What type of partition? Dos? Lilnux? Can it be an extended partition?

Should the ext2 filesytem of 'bubba.img' be unpacked into the partition or should it exist as a file there?

Can there be any other files there?

Does it need to be owned by root? What permissions?

What does boot-from-flash kernel do when it comes up to decide if it should try to boot from HD or try USB-mass-storage-dev?

How does it go about looking for 'bubba.img' or contents thereof?

Its not magic.. please share the specifics.
johannes

Post by johannes »

dbudbu,

All you need to know should be in the Users Manual, page 31, "installing/re-installing software on the disk". Download it from www.excito.com. It is made to be usable with a USB memory stick, therefor, the first (or only) partition must be used.

The rescue-boot kernel is invoked by keeping the button pressed at power-on, and will not work unless it finds the file "bubba.img" on the USB stick. Let me know if any information is missing, I'll update the Users Manual.

Also, thanks to niclas for his excellent hands-on guide, I know many users found it useful. :)
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
niclas

Post by niclas »

This walkthrough was not not ment to be the description of how to install your bubba, it was just a description of how I did. I tried to be as clear as possible. If something is unclear, please drop me a note and I can update the walkthroough. Since I wrote it, a new version of Debian is out so the walkthrough probably needs to be updated. I will take care of that next time I reinstall it, which will be soon.

And the answers to your questions. As the manual says, it should be FAT32, which does not have ownership of files so the question if root should own it, is N/A. And I put the IMG-file (as a single file, not unpacked or nothing) on the USB-stick, I did that in Windows, so I only copied it from where I put the file on my hard drive (somewhere on C: ) to the root of my USB-drive ( F: ) and yes you can have other files on the USB-drive.
johannes wrote:Also, thanks to niclas for his excellent hands-on guide, I know many users found it useful. :)
And that is the reason why I didn't just keep the file for my own use, but shared it for others to use and learn. Information not shared is lost.

/Niclas
Last edited by niclas on 22 Apr 2007, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.
Clive

Post by Clive »

...and thanks Niclas for this walkthrough, when I first got my Bubba I followed this to the letter and achieved the loading of MySQL and PHP without any problems whatsoever. It's good that it doesn't assume that the user had an in-depth knoweldge of Linux.
dbudbu

me aculpa.

Post by dbudbu »

Sorry; dont mean to whine. Its a very cute product and all and yes, yes; very helpfull to have first hand experiences with success.

I guess I'm just too dense -- wanted all the details of partition and filesytem types spelled out for me. Turned out the USB stick I used did not have a DOS partition table on it, nor any VFAT filesystems.