New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Tweaking photo albums

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
pindakoe

Tweaking photo albums

Post by pindakoe »

I have recently started to use the photo album stuff. It is functional but pretty Spartan. My main wishes would be to have a bigger preview of the photo (I have a 1680x1050 monitor; having a preview of 600 x 450 pix leaves a lot of white space) and ability to customise the album further (use black background instead of white maybe, play with fonts etc). I cannot find ways in the web-interface to go beyond creating/deleting and managing access to albums. Some investigation shows that one can tweak some bits by modifying the source (/usr/share/album), but w/o knowledge of PHP this is cumbersome. I have been able to modify the album's looks a bit by modifying the style sheet for the web pages (
/usr/share/album/views/_css/album.css), but it is slow going to first understand how a particular layout is generated from PHP and then look up the right class in the CSS.

Is there any documentation on how the album software works?
Any ways to modify the standard configuration other than modifying the various PHP scripts?
eds_oyo

Re: Tweaking photo albums

Post by eds_oyo »

I find the photo album part way to basic and "home-made" too.

I am looking at replacing the whole album site with another php album. There are several different php album softwares available, just google "php album" and find one you like.

The php files for the original bubba-album is found in: "/usr/share/album" (Defined in /etc/apache2/conf.d/album.conf).

I will post back when I have tried to replace the album with a third party one. :)
redw0001

Post by redw0001 »

Hi,

Did anyone find a better photo album. I'm trying to share photos with some friends and my family, so some shared items some private. The split is by directory so not at an individual level but even so with the current photo album this is tedious. I'm also keen to allow the friends to add new photos (we share a common interest) via some route.

Interested to see if you came up with a better alternative.

robin
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

I installed gallery2, which does all of these things. It's a little heavy on the cpu, but I managed to run it on a B1, so a B3 should not have issues with it.
kjellberg

Post by kjellberg »

Was just about to recommend Gallery 3
redw0001

Post by redw0001 »

Should have said .. I'm on a Bubba2. Was looking at phpalbum, but will have a look at Gallery3.

<update> decided to go with Gallery3, however, could someone explain where I should install it? The Gallery3 site says "Extract the archive and upload all files and folders to your web server (usually via FTP)." I'm keen to put it in a place that would not get messed up if I do an upgrade but doesn't impact its operation (gallery3)

thank you, robin
kjellberg

Post by kjellberg »

Since I have a B3 I can't tell if the structure is the same on a B2, but on a B3 I would recommend you to put it in /home/web/gallery/
C.Igar

Post by C.Igar »

Yep, on bubba2 install it under /home/web and choose any dir you like that's not in use (admin, album etc. are already in use). In fact, you can install it multiple times and use seperate mysql databases. That way you can create different trees (eg public and private), very handy!
redw0001

Post by redw0001 »

Hmm ... move to Gallery3 went pretty bad so far. Did install and all seemed ok. I think I followed correctly. Added my first album, added some photos and started getting error messages 'server error:Error #2038 (IO)'.
I found comments to change a setting in advanced settings from 5 to 1 (to do with parallel transfers).

Re-tried adding the photos, got same errors and Bubba looks like it is looping. Got wrong for sinking the Squeeezeserver ... and killing wifes music and cant get file sharing or mail access. The Bubba sounds like it is going ballistic on I/O to the disk and has been for 20 mins.

Anybody seen any of these symptoms?
robin
C.Igar

Post by C.Igar »

Hi Robin,

I've added over 3500 photo's today without any problems. I'm still using 5 streams to upload photo's. Are you sure your disk isn't dying on you?

Can you check out /var/log/messages and/or /var/log/kern.log for errors?
redw0001

Post by redw0001 »

Put a hold on my statements. I (embarrassingly) think I found the problem. What was the old rule about not making two changes at the same time? Sorry, looks like my enablement of syslog analysing of my router using my HA software has gone wrong and it is not Gallery3. Not quite sure how it impacts the 2038 errors but can understand the poor response times. robin
pcrene

Post by pcrene »

Hello

I have Gallery3 running for a while.....no problems so far. Used all the defaults and
made one change.... the albums are not public.

The B3 handles the Gallery3 much better than the B2.

Rene
B3 1T + B-Stor 2T, B2 1T as backup
40 users active....
Opensat4all.Com
redw0001

Post by redw0001 »

Hmm, interesting problem, I'm clearly doing something wrong.

When I add photos to an album I get a successful message for some and a failure message for others. The failure message is the "#2038 (IO)" error. I've changed the settings to 1 from 5 as recommended on the Gallery site but it still happens .... and more puzzling .... it is the photos with the error messages that get loaded OK. The ones that report as OK do not appear!

robin