New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

B3 WiFi with LAN connection problem

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Im4Fun

B3 WiFi with LAN connection problem

Post by Im4Fun »

Dear All,

I have just bought and installed a B3 wifi and I'm having some issues with the connection via LAN to my bubba. This occurs only with my desktop but not with my laptop. Apart from the most elementary differences between these two in shape and type of computer, the laptop is running XP x86 and the desktop will be W7 x64. From my point of view there should certainly not be any problems by having any of these OS:es, but still the desktop will complain that there is no network connection no matter what or how I change the settings inside the bubba. I have even made a hard reset of the bubba it self, and also updated the firmware to 2.2.0 without any success of changes what so ever.

The only solution at the moment will be to connect the desktop via WiFi, but this will not be a sustainable one due to the lack of speed transferring large amount of data. So I'm therefore completely open for any suggestions and trial to have this up and running!

Best Regards
Carl
Ubi

Re: B3 WiFi with LAN connection problem

Post by Ubi »

Considering your laptop connects fine to bubba I'd say the problem lies in your desktop, not in the server

did you do an ipcponfig on both?
Im4Fun

Post by Im4Fun »

Yes, I totally agree upon the fact that the problem lies within the desktop computer. The ipconfig will be totally blank using the LAN connection, but will on the other hand be completely okay on both the laptop and with the WiFi activated on the desktop.

What I could see was that on the LED:s for both the LAN-port on the bubba and also my desktop will be black, unless the PC is booting or the OS is in a pre-boot stage. At this point they seem to be communicating, but as soon as the desktop has loaded the drivers for the LAN they will turn black again. This puzzles me a bit to be honest!

The second thing that I think is strange will be that before I received the bubba, I used an ordinary router without any problems at all. Even if I skip everything and connect the desktop directly to my broadband switch, it will yet again receive a IP and work perfectly.

All of this might point to a driver OR a PC-hardware problem, but I'm out of ideas to honest! None the less, I'm expecting a brand new desktop in a matter of days, so hopefully this will be solved by it self!

/Calle
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

you so basically what you're saying is you cannot connect to bubba over wire, but you can over wireless. If you plug your bubbas wan port into the router, and also plug your pc into the router, can you connect to bubba over wire?

can you connect your laptop to bubba over wire? (I always assumed that was what you did or the test would have been meaningless, but now I'm not so sure). FUlly disable the wireless connection on the laptop before you try to connect to bubba over wire.
Asad

Post by Asad »

Also make sure the cable from the cable modem or ADSL modem is directly connected to Bubbas WAN port and not going through a switch.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

why is that actually?
Asad

Post by Asad »

I think if you don't use a switch with VLAN tagging, it will mix two networks in one collison domain which can create confusion for routers and the result will be unstable connection. It seems like this was the problem with me..

It also increases the risk of duplex mismatch in one side.
Im4Fun

Post by Im4Fun »

I’m sorry for being a bit unclear, but I don’t have any problems connecting the laptop to the LAN-port of the bubba.

If I still use the router between the bubba and the desktop, it will receive an IP and work. But here I’ll have two issues, whereas the first will be that I cannot log in with the admin account due to the fact that it’s not permitted through WAN access. And second and foremost, the initial idea was to eliminate a few power consuming devices.

I have a fiber connection, meaning no modem what so ever. The only thing that I have will be switch for telephone, TV and broadband (Swedish Telia and a Triple Play switch). If I instead place the bubba before the switch, the signal for all TV channels will be blocked but the phone a broadband will be okay.
Asad

Post by Asad »

Bubba should be connected to whatever WAN device you have directly, so it gives IP direct to Bubba.

do you get this in your syslog?

Code: Select all

Jan  3 11:59:10 b3 hostapd: wlan0: STA 00:24:d6:32:9b:66 WPA: received EAPOL-Key 2/2 Group with unexpected replay counter
Jan  3 11:59:11 b3 hostapd: wlan0: STA 24:ab:81:87:20:2b WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Jan  3 11:59:11 b3 hostapd: wlan0: STA 24:ab:81:87:20:2b WPA: received EAPOL-Key 2/2 Group with unexpected replay counter
Jan  3 12:09:10 b3 hostapd: wlan0: STA 00:26:5e:1e:fe:4d WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Jan  3 12:09:10 b3 hostapd: wlan0: STA 00:24:d6:32:9b:66 WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Jan  3 12:09:10 b3 hostapd: wlan0: STA 00:24:d6:32:9b:66 WPA: received EAPOL-Key 2/2 Group with unexpected replay counter
Jan  3 12:09:11 b3 hostapd: wlan0: STA 24:ab:81:87:20:2b WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Jan  3 12:09:11 b3 hostapd: wlan0: STA 24:ab:81:87:20:2b WPA: received EAPOL-Key 2/2 Group with unexpected replay counter
Jan  3 12:09:11 b3 hostapd: wlan0: STA 24:ab:81:87:20:2b WPA: received EAPOL-Key 2/2 Group with unexpected replay counter
Jan  3 12:19:10 b3 hostapd: wlan0: STA 00:26:5e:1e:fe:4d WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Jan  3 12:19:10 b3 hostapd: wlan0: STA 00:24:d6:32:9b:66 WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Jan  3 12:19:10 b3 hostapd: wlan0: STA 00:24:d6:32:9b:66 WPA: received EAPOL-Key 2/2 Group with unexpected replay counter
Jan  3 12:19:12 b3 hostapd: wlan0: STA 24:ab:81:87:20:2b WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Jan  3 12:19:12 b3 hostapd: wlan0: STA 24:ab:81:87:20:2b WPA: received EAPOL-Key 2/2 Group with unexpected replay counter
Jan  3 12:19:12 b3 hostapd: wlan0: STA 24:ab:81:87:20:2b WPA: received EAPOL-Key 2/2 Group with unexpected replay counter
or something like this:
http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap ... 20997.html ?

if this is the case, then it could be the hostapd not working well with bridge mode.

What do you get when running mii-tool ?
Do you have full duplex links on all interfaces?
ryz

Post by ryz »

Can you connect to the Bubba if you put an switch between the Bubba LAN and the Dekstop?
I once had problem with connecting my Playstation 2 and an Linksys WLAN to Ethernet bridge. It seemed they could not agree on which speed to use on the link. That is if they should use half or full duplex 10 or 100 Mbit/s. This was really strange this should be very standardized how to do that since this is the first thing that needs to be done. I solved it by putting an switch between which both seems to be able be able communicate the speed with. I think I had the same problem as you with a black led on the Ethernet controller.
Im4Fun

Post by Im4Fun »

I can now confirm that the initial problem was with my desktop computer, as suspected I might add. Because now after this one have been replaced with a shiny new Nettop from Asrock, everything is working smooth as silk without any hick-ups at all.

So thank you all for your time and effort, but now the case is closed from my point of view.

/Calle