New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

DNS server

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
hasirani

DNS server

Post by hasirani »

How do I get a list of sites registered with a DNS Name Server? I am trying to get some information from a specific dns server. Specifically, I need a list of the ip addresses for sites registered with that dns server. Also, a way to programatically access that information would be nice, as I am working on a program in Java that will be using the information.
Last edited by hasirani on 25 Mar 2011, 05:41, edited 1 time in total.
Ubi

Re: DNS server

Post by Ubi »

you want to ask a remote server what IP addresses it is giving out? That would be one hell of a security breach!
If not: please specify in shorter sentences what you want.
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

That would be one hell of a security breach!
Yes, plus you are looking for reverse lookups, which isn't part of how DNS works.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

that last sentence I do not agree with. DNS servers do in fact dole out IP addresses when supplied with a domain name. Now I suppose you can hack it into giving up IXFR records which contains all ip addresses for a domain, but you cannot ask it which domains it is holding data for, as the recursive nature of DNS will then offload the entire worlds DNS structure on you.

Actually, what does all this have to do with Bubba? More a question for the BIND user list.
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Ubi is right, of course.
But if you have your own lowly domain registered, you will know that reverse lookups only works for some, so the results for such a query would always be inconclusive.
Last edited by Cheeseboy on 23 Mar 2011, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Cheeseboy wrote:Ubi is right, of course.
I'm gonna show this to my boss
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

:-)