New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

XFS support

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
lillem4n

XFS support

Post by lillem4n »

How do I install it? :)

xfsprogs and xfsdump didnt do the trick...
6feet5

Re: XFS support

Post by 6feet5 »

Hi,

I'm guessing there is a missing kernel module in your system (XFS is probably not supported by default) . Have you tried following the instructions in this thread? They are for nfs, but should be similar for other file systems. I haven't really followed the discussions regarding these matters (missing modules) so there may be far better procedures to follow. Search for "kernal modules" or similar in forum.

/Johan
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

B2 or B3?

I get this from my B3:

Code: Select all

xyz@b3:~$ aptitude search xfs | grep XFS
p   xfsdump                         - Administrative utilities for the XFS files
p   xfslibs-dev                     - XFS filesystem-specific static libraries a
p   xfsprogs                        - Utilities for managing the XFS filesystem 
Cheers,

CheeseBoy

EDIT:
I get the same from my my bubba2 as well...

And:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xfsprogs
[sudo] password for xyz: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Suggested packages:
  xfsdump acl attr quota
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  xfsprogs
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,593kB of archives.
After this operation, 3,539kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main xfsprogs armel 3.1.4 [1,593kB]
Fetched 1,593kB in 0s (3,992kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package xfsprogs.
(Reading database ... 43130 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking xfsprogs (from .../xfsprogs_3.1.4_armel.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up xfsprogs (3.1.4) ...
lillem4n

Post by lillem4n »

6feet5 wrote:Hi,

I'm guessing there is a missing kernel module in your system (XFS is probably not supported by default) . Have you tried following the instructions in this thread? They are for nfs, but should be similar for other file systems. I haven't really followed the discussions regarding these matters (missing modules) so there may be far better procedures to follow. Search for "kernal modules" or similar in forum.

/Johan
Thanks a lot for that thread. I'm compiling stuff now. Not sure what files I should copy where, but I think it'll solve in time. :)

Seems XFS is standard in most systems, so not much on google on how to add it as a module... Or maybe I'm just a bad googler. ;)
lillem4n

Post by lillem4n »

Cheeseboy wrote:B2 or B3?
B3 :)

And yeh, I found the applications also, but need to get it to work on kernel level.
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

lillem4n wrote:Thanks a lot for that thread. I'm compiling stuff now. Not sure what files I should copy where, but I think it'll solve in time.
I didn't mention you need to use the same kernel source version as the one your B3 has, but I guess you've already figured that out by yourself. And I forgot to mention the kernel sources are available for download from Excito, so you should probably try with that before using the kernel.org ones (maybe you already did).

/Johan

PS Maybe this should be added to the wiki, "How to compile and install a kernel module"
lillem4n

Post by lillem4n »

6feet5 wrote:
lillem4n wrote:Thanks a lot for that thread. I'm compiling stuff now. Not sure what files I should copy where, but I think it'll solve in time.
I didn't mention you need to use the same kernel source version as the one your B3 has, but I guess you've already figured that out by yourself. And I forgot to mention the kernel sources are available for download from Excito, so you should probably try with that before using the kernel.org ones (maybe you already did).

/Johan

PS Maybe this should be added to the wiki, "How to compile and install a kernel module"
Yeah, figured the kernel version. Downloaded it from kernel.org though. I did some modifications, and got some help from the guys at #xfs @ freenode. I've requested an account on the wiki, so I'll add a general guide at installing kernel modules when I have the account. :)

Very much thanks for the help!