New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

[SOLVED] Loosing WLAN connection // poor performance

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
oliver

[SOLVED] Loosing WLAN connection // poor performance

Post by oliver »

Hi there,

since last saturday I have a B3 with WLAN. I have setup this successfully but I faced now several issues:

1. poor WLAN-performance and hangs (about ca. 1 minute):
I am connecting my windows 7 notebook via WLAN to the B3. Booth have 802.11n capability. So Windows
is telling me having a transfer rate of 130Mbit/sec and a very strong signal quality. But I am facing often
hangs about ca. 1 minute and poor WLAN-performance. files transfers between notebook and B3 are
crashing down. I am running the B3 as router+server+firewall. The WLAN-settings are 2.4GHz in Mixed
Mode with WPA2 security. Current channel is "1" and tried other channels, too.

Have to solve this issue ?? Any comments are greatly welcome :D

Thanks in advance

Oliver
Last edited by oliver on 03 Feb 2012, 08:48, edited 1 time in total.
Binkem

Re: Loosing WLAN connection // poor performance

Post by Binkem »

I guess pinging your B3 from the computer results in the loss of about 1/2 to 1/4 of all packages?
oliver

Post by oliver »

yes, how do you know ? same problem ?
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

There seems to be some problem when connecting from some WLAN cards to the WLAN of Bubba. I had the problem with 300 N cards produced by Atheros in combination with 64 bit Windows. I managed to get it solved bij buying a 150 N card (also by Atheros). I'm afraid I haven't got a solution for your specific problem, though I'm curious about the type of network card and OS you're using.

See also this post:
http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3362
eZap

Post by eZap »

I were facing the same problem, but "solved it" by setting the wireless mode to: Legacy mode (802.11g)

Br,
eZap
oliver

Post by oliver »

@Binkem: I have here a Windows 7 64-bit Machine with a Atheros AR5B97 wireless network adapter, too :oops:
Why I wont work in "Mixed Mode" ???
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

You might try the 'solution' ezap offered, if the wlan card is able to revert to 802.11g only. I don't understand why there is this problem with two wireless cards by the same manufacturer. Perhaps there is someone on the forum who does know enough about how these cards work to point us toward a solution?
cal

Post by cal »

Had the same problem copying files from PC to B3, transfer rate 100 kb/s. Changed wireless setting to Legacy mode, transfer rate went to 1 MB/s, thanks for the tip!
Still, don´t get why Mixed mode has so low performance when copying files, my WLAN is 250 MB/s using Mixed mode (it went down to 54 MB/s when I changed to Legacy mode). Using Vista 32 bit, don´t know the network card.
oliver

Post by oliver »

@Johannes, @all:
[Update to my issue:]
Yesterday I updated my Atheros WLAN-Adapter in my Windows 7 64-bit notebook. I had to tell Windows that it didnt have the newest driver :oops:

I got now a stable connection with "mixed mode" for a short distance. Windows is telling me a transfer rate of 130MBit/sec. I did make a stress test with permanent ping´s and file transfers from notebook to B3. Everything works fine !

But when I am leaving the room where my B3 stands and go to my room with my desk the connection drops again !!

@Johannes: Is is possible that the transmitting power of the B3 is not enough for 802.11n ?

Thanks

Oliver
johannes

Post by johannes »

@Oliver,

No, it does work just fine normally, actually we beat the crap out of many competitors in 2.4GHz wifi tests. However, one thought could be that you have bad cabling inside your B3, or poorly attached antennas?

If you like, open up your B3 to check that the antenna cables are properly assembled? Something might have happend during freight? A long shot, but perhaps worth to try?
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
oliver

Post by oliver »

johannes wrote:If you like, open up your B3 to check that the antenna cables are properly assembled? Something might have happend during freight? A long shot, but perhaps worth to try?
What about my gurantee if I am opening my new B3 ?
johannes

Post by johannes »

No problems, since you are having problems we'll of course allow that. Be careful and mind static electricity, and you'll be fine.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
oliver

Post by oliver »

Hmmm...let my think about it and I will give my answer later. I dont like to look for any hardware issues :(

Best wishes

Oliver
oliver

Post by oliver »

Since 2.4 release update everything seams to work pretty good :mrgreen: