New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Lost webinterface access

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
stevehodge

Lost webinterface access

Post by stevehodge »

Help!!
I have lost access to my B2 through the web interface. All I get is "The requested URL /web-admin/index.php was not found on this server"
I can get access through putty and ssh, and get su status too.
If I just put in 'bubba' to firefox I get the standard opening screen but when I select select 'bubba administration' and I get the message above. if I just put the numeric IP address to firefox I get the message above
And another thing - it seems to forget the date all the time, persistently going back to 1.1.1970

I use it for backup, accessing it from windows machines via a samba share. Still seems to read and write fine

This occurred after running apt-get upgrade with the full range of repositories; which didn't seem to complete normally

And since then the yellow light never stops blinking, even after a reboot via ssh

Don't want to reinstall, would lose my back-ups - can't seem to mount a large usb drive to preserve them
while I re-install

Any ideas??
RandomUsername

Re: Lost webinterface access

Post by RandomUsername »

First, what yellow light? The main LED on the Bubba Two is blue.

Second, when you do apt-get upgrade does it complain about any mis-configured packages etc? You could try running

Code: Select all

apt-get upgrade -f
stevehodge

Post by stevehodge »

Thanks - apt-get seems to be OK now. Just complains about not being able to stat some of the repositories -such as ftp.se.debian.org sarge/main Packages -which I wouldn't think is a problem. I think these are out of date anyway

About the yellow light. Maybe it is some other bubba. it was bought in August 2007 order 73011-PP. I looked up the purchase details but all they say is "bubba server, sky blue in colour" - nor is there any serial number that I can see on the outside. Don't particularly want to take it to bits and look for a serial inside, but will do if necessary

This apart the symptoms are as before, and I still can't access the administration interface through my browser

Can't help feeling that if I could work out how to mount one of my large external NTFS drives, and save my backups there, I could just reload everything and start clean again, probably with a larger harddisk
stevehodge

Post by stevehodge »

Further previous post - clock has gone back to 1.1.1970 again. I am assuming that this is because the hardware clock is wrong or non existent, so I lose date and time on reboot. Certainly if I try ``/sbin/hwclock --systohc'' the system complains that it can't find the hardware clock. it looks for a device called rtc which isn't there. Is this correct? If so I guess I can just use ntp to keep the time correct
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

It sounds like you have an original Bubba. Is it aluminium? It sounds like you might be looking at a hardware failure. Could be something as simple as the clock battery going but I'm not familiar with the original Bubba so hopefully someone else might have a good idea.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

You have a Bubba 1, not a B2. In both cases there is no serial inside by default.
stevehodge wrote: This occurred after running apt-get upgrade with the full range of repositories; which didn't seem to complete normally
There's your problem
stevehodge wrote: Any ideas??
Reinstall I'm afraid. And indeed, the clock setting back to 1970 generally means a bad battery, but as all this suddenly appears after update, I guess try reinstall first.

If you cannot connect a HD directly, why not connect a remote samba share to the external HD on another computer and push everything over the network?
ryz

Post by ryz »

An likely reason for apt-get to not find the repositories is because B1 uses an old and not supported version of Debian. This means that they have moved the repositories so you need to edit your source list and use
http://archive.debian.org/debian/ instead of ftp.se.debian.org. As always make a backup of the file before changing.
stevehodge

Post by stevehodge »

Thanks everyone

I am going to re-install, having copied over the key backups with a samba connection as suggested by ubi; slow but sure, I hope. After which I'll tackle the battery question

When I looked at the ftp site referenced in the manual in relation to re-installs I found two versions of bubba.img, one of which seems to be the lenny version of debian, and the other something perhaps older. I am going to try the lenny version as I see a lot of people were asking for it back in 2008/9 when it was first posted, and I am fairly familiar with it

Anyone see any problems with this?