New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

The unofficial B4 anticipation thread

Got comments on forum and website
DanielM

The unofficial B4 anticipation thread

Post by DanielM »

Since Excito more or less officially has declared that they are developing a successor to B3, I think it's getting time for some end user speculation, don't you?

I started thinking of what I'd like to have in my B4 (that I'm of course going to buy once it's released, whether it's this year or another). Fact is I find it hard to come up with things I miss on my B3, but there are always stuff you could wish. So here is my list of things that I believe that the B4 will have or that I want it to have. And if Excito wants to comment it's fine and if not this will be a pure speculation/wish thread :-)

(And I'll mix hardware and software thoughts free below. The reason I'm allowed to do that is because this is my thread 8) )

First the boring obvious stuff:
  • More cpu power (not that this is a problem in B3, but more is always more right?)
  • More memory (see comment above)
  • Less power consumption (No idea if it's possible, but watts are always watts)
  • USB3 ports
Ant the rest:
  • Possibility to run wifi in 2.4 and 5GHz simultaneously. This is something I really miss with B3. Since I have old units that can't handle 5GHz I have to run everything in 2.4GHz
  • More stuff in the web settings. In my opinion stuff like mac address filtering shouldn't need to be done by hand.
  • Better torrent downloader. It was fine for me until more and more trackers started using magnet links, now it's more or less worthless.
  • A little configurable display could be nice. Just something simple that could for example be configured to show the amount of new mail.
That's all that I can come up with for now. But I'm quite sure there are many possibilities I haven't thought of here, so please fill in...

(And please note that the above is NOT a whining list. I REALLY like both my B3 and my old B1 :D )

/Daniel
nobody

Re: The unofficial B4 anticipation thread

Post by nobody »

I would personally trade all that* for the ability to boot from an internal flash disk. This will
  • speed up booting dramatically
  • physically split userdata and systemdata
  • allow the userdisk to spin down and save energy
and best of all, it has been shown to work on the B3 already!

* except the magnetlinks, that for me would be a dealbreaker
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

nobody wrote:I would personally trade all that* for the ability to boot from an internal flash disk. This will
  • speed up booting dramatically
  • physically split userdata and systemdata
  • allow the userdisk to spin down and save energy
and best of all, it has been shown to work on the B3 already!

* except the magnetlinks, that for me would be a dealbreaker
Good point, didn't think of that. Personally I can't see any advantage in faster boot (since in my opinion the only time it's supposed to boot is after kernel upgrades), but it'd really be an advantage if the disk could spin down once in a while.

/Daniel
Nrde

Post by Nrde »

Keep the existing features and add:

- HDMI out
- a _fast_ mediaplayer (ie XMBC or similar working lightning fast, even rasberry pi can do it kind of)
- way to see what I have already watched (manual or automatic)
- _no_ unneeded online media services like youtube etc.
- same low power consumption
- even faster NAS features

Hmm, my message seems to not be about B4 but Excito media player :)
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Nrde wrote:Hmm, my message seems to not be about B4 but Excito media player :)
Exactly my thought. I think one of the benefits with bubba is that it isn't a full blown computer with graphics and other bloat-stuff. But a htpc made by Excito would be cool :D

/Daniel
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Ok. 11 days without any more suggestions. I guess that means B3 is really near perfect, right? :D

I've got another one for my list though: 802.11ac. Would be cool...

/Daniel
albert

Post by albert »

I've got one, for what it's worth.

Two eSata ports instead of one. One should be able to use a port multiplier, as it is now.

Albert
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

I'm starting to give up hope for B4 this year. Hope is important. Anyone say anything to give me hope back?

/Daniel
86ivar

Post by 86ivar »

DanielM wrote:I'm starting to give up hope for B4 this year. Hope is important. Anyone say anything to give me hope back?

/Daniel
check the excito homepage. Updates, but maybe not what we anticipated.
also b3 are at a christmas discount.
nobody

Post by nobody »

Looks like theyre aiming for the set top market via package deals with telecom providers. Kinda means the bubba is no more.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

nobody wrote:Looks like theyre aiming for the set top market via package deals with telecom providers. Kinda means the bubba is no more.
If that is the case I hope Excito will tell us soon. I have no need for another htpc, what I need right now is a new home server. So if there will be no B4 I have to search for something else :(

/Daniel
johannes

Post by johannes »

nobody wrote:Kinda means the bubba is no more.
Not at all. Se here for a (vague) clarification.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
mintz

Post by mintz »

I've been playing around with this wonderful little box since Christmas. While there are many things I love about it there are stuffs that can really be improved. Here are the things I really like to have on the B4
  • Better boot time.
  • More CPU power and RAM
  • USB 3.0, E-SATA support
  • More tweaks on the default apps like bittorent client, DLNA, audio player etc...
  • The same fanless rigid body design. Maybe with a little better vibration absorbing feet.
  • No extra parts like graphic chip, bluetooth, sound chip etc... Keep the power consumption to the very minimum.
I am in need of another box. Maybe it will be worth it waiting for B4 if it ever going to come out?